exercise

8 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Kittycat789 DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
10 posts

Hi just wandering if any one can help if i get a bg in target before exercise but have a high reading afterwards, should i use corrective?

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

How strenuous is your exercise?
Regards
Garry

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

You can correct, but if you do, take BG readings at regular intervals afterwards. It is common to have a high reading following exercise, especially for competitive sport or anaerobic exercise, but often the BGs will drop naturally afterwards and hypos are more likely than prolonged high readings.

If I finished above 15, then I'd inject about half of what I'd inject if I hadn't exercised, but below 15 it always seems to sort itself out within an hour.

Feel free to experiment yourself by taking readings an hour apart afterwards and see what your trends are.

Kittycat789 DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
10 posts

Hi Gary sorry for the delay i swim and run get high readings after both

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

My BGs just go down after an hours swimming. Running...knees are a bit too old for that now...but energetic cycling and my bloods can rocket up - like you.
Would follow Warwick's advice. Strikes me that he is very clued up from lots of experience. But as he said, you will need experiment and find out what works for you personally.
Accurate record keeping is so important though to help you understand what works effectively.
Regards
Garry

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

Hi to all
I've just really got back into exercise which is totally down to Dafne and the group of people who where on the course,
Its too soon to add any comments since I've only been running 6 weeks but I've seen a change in the control of my BG,
I'll watch with interest the comments people like yourselves are posting Cool
Type 1 42 yrs

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

ive been doing intense cardio for 30 minutes 4 days a week after dinner............blood sugars are brilliant, the odd hypo of course, but makes your supper taste better.........Smile

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
ive been doing intense cardio for 30 minutes 4 days a week after dinner............blood sugars are brilliant, the odd hypo of course, but makes your supper taste better.........Smile

Hi
That's omg good I'm only at 2 km runs at the moment, taking it easy on the knees.
I've seen a cut in my insulin by 2/3 with better BG ,still been carful I've never been this low at 5 to 6 for a long period as I'm now.
But your right I've never enjoyed food as much as I do now. Very Happy