sensitivity to exercise

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ati DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
2 posts

Hi,

I need to some help with daily exercise and keeping my sugar levels stable. I was wondering what the rules are for exercise if only doing say a 20min walk morn and evening? as this drops my sugars alot and also for the next day?

Thankyou,

RichFreed DAFNE Graduate
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland
51 posts

When I was on DAFNE regime my QA ratio when not exercising was 1.6 times that of my while exercising QA ratio.

I am now on a pump and its my BI insulin that changes now, Surprise surprise my BI while not exercising is 1.6ish times that of excercise.

When I excercise regularly it takes abount 5 hours for my body to convert from non-exercise insulin requirements to the with exercise requirements. When I stop exercising regularly it takes around 12+hours for my body to start converting to its non excercise requirements. Totally converted after 24hrs.

Everyone will be different. So you just have to monitor what happens to you, apply the usual techniques to correct QA ratios etc. for me it was working out the non excercise ratios & BI because I do a bike ride 3 times a day more often than not, so when I stop exercise my BGs start to go up. In your case your going the other way which may well lead to hypos .... More testing while you try to figure it out... Maybe start off slowly so your changes are less dramatic.

Ati DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
2 posts

hi,

thanks for your reply. i now write down all my daily excercise activities and this has helped to monitor my insulin doses. i have found when i stop excercising it takes 3+ days for my bg to increase and i to tend to have lows before then. Thanks for your help i will focus on reducing the lows.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

This is helpful to read. I will look more into this too... Smile Hope it works out!