exercise query

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

paulj DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
36 posts

this morning i decided to go for a 5 mile walk after breakfast.
my BG reading when igot up before breakfast was -11.3
i had 7cps for breakfast and had 3.5 units of q/a insulin plus 1.0 correction i.e. total 4.5 q/a units ratio= half to one
i also took my BI of 7 units
before i started my walk an hour later my BG was-20.8
halfway through the walkmy BG level was-9.9
i then ate 2CP'S of carbohydrates and at the end of my walk one and a half hours later my BG level was 5.8

my questions are -
1.should i have taken my normal 1/1 ratio for breakfast and started with a lower BG level and taken on extra cp's as and when needed?
2.with the high BG level i started with should i have tested for KETONES ?

which option in your opinion would be best for me in the future?the goods thing about this for me was i didnt develop a HYPO as i would have normally done starting with a lower BG level and exercising afterwards.
my ulitimate aim for the next three months is to have as few hypo's as possible to develop in the future better awareness of the onset of hypo's

i realise everyone reacts differently to exercise butr i am a little bit confused at the moment as what would have been and will be the best option in the future

your anticipated advice is greatly appreciated

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think with long periods of light to moderate activity levels you should actually decrease your BI dose, this will deal with a slower dropping blood sugar level and can accommodate for the hours after the activity also....

Now, I am not a great fan of too much exercise so my advice may not be very good, however I would say that option 1 would be good.

Take your normal 1:1 ratio, and also consider increasing the time fro injection to actually eating breakfast. This will help you avid hitting the 20+ blood sugar readings.....

As you would have reduced your BI you would find that you may not need extra CPs during or after.........best to test this approach with caution, as you would with any new approach, as we are all different...

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think with long periods of light to moderate activity levels you should actually decrease your BI dose, this will deal with a slower dropping blood sugar level and can accommodate for the hours after the activity also....

Now, I am not a great fan of too much exercise so my advice may not be very good, however I would say that option 1 would be good.

Take your normal 1:1 ratio, and also consider increasing the time from injection to actually eating breakfast. This will help you avid hitting the 20+ blood sugar readings.....

As you would have reduced your BI you would find that you may not need extra CPs during or after.........best to test this approach with caution, as you would with any new approach, as we are all different...