GLUCOPHAGE

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

maddog DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
2 posts

Hi i have been prescribed these Metformin tablets,and was told i should increase the dose up to 4 tablets a day.
These are supposed to decrease my appertite, and make me more sensative to insulin, so i should be able to reduce the amount of insulin i take per injection.
However nothing seems to be happening, have you any suggestions for me? should i carry on, or should i finish with them.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi,
You don't give any indication of how long you have been taking them, a day, a week, a month ? I don't think you can expect any drug to
work immediately although when you were prescribed the Metformin they should have given you some indication at least of how quickly
they will take effect. I think you should ALWAYS carry on taking them unless you agree with your Diabetes team that you will stop taking them. If they are not working why not contact your Diabetes Team and ask them why they are not having the expected effect.
Out of curiosity, have you always been insulin resistant ? I ask because a lot of DAFNE Centres will not take people with insulin resistance
onto the DAFNE course, mainly because their 'requirements' are different to Type 1's in general who tend not to be insulin resistant. Thats
not to say people with insulin resistance cannot do the DAFNE course, it just tends to be 'easier' if all participants have the same general background in terms of their Diabetes requirements.

shazz_5683 DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
13 posts

Hi Maddog....

I too am on metformin SR and have 4 tablets a day they do help but you need to give them a few months and keep having check ups with nurse or GP.
I dont know how long you have been a type1 but I have been one for 9yrs and they are still testing me with big ????? as too wether I am Type1 or 2 have genetic MODY??? Who knows all I know is that DAFNE helped me BIG time!!

Had my HbA1c results today and they are 8.8 ok still a little high but they were 12.6 a yr ago!!!

Good Luck