Morning High

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

GordyP DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
9 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I have just completed Dafne course last week and during the first few days I have been lowering my lantus (which I take before bed), from 26u to 24u to 22u. For the last few days now, my BG before bed is good, but the next morning is very high. Do u think it be best to raise my lantus to 24 again for few days to try and eliminate morning highs. The morning highs are on Sunday 27th and Monday 28th.

Regards
Gordy

GordyP DAFNE Graduate
9 posts

I was going to increase my basal by 10-20%, so from 22 to 24 for few days to see what effect that has. Would anyone agree/disagree Question

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Only from another graduate like yourself, but I would agree.
We all need recognise how long changes in Lantus dose take to have any effect. Seems to take 3 days for most of us.
My DAFNE consultant recommends 10 to 20% changes in BI to see quick outcome - so I think you are right Smile

Regards
Garry

GordyP DAFNE Graduate
9 posts

Hi, thanks for reply.
Well, fingers crossed the increase has worked. With a morning BG of 5.7 this morning, I'm hoping my increase of BI last night continues this morning trend...I'll monitor for a few days, do some 3am checks and come back with the results.
Gordy

GordyP DAFNE Graduate
9 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

3 days after BI increase.....looking better now apart from the morning hypo this morning....

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Keep it steady Gordon P - and see how it goes.
If you are repeatedly low on a morning you may need adjust BI again.
Know it's a pain, but as you mentioned, some 03:00 am BGs will help you understand what is happening....and more specifically....when.

Regards
Garry

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

GordyP said:
3 days after BI increase.....looking better now apart from the morning hypo this morning....

Yes, looking better but do keep an eye on that morning BG and remember your BG should remain stable overnight with your BI, which it did Tue night 29th May.

If you find your morning BG are below target (<5.5mmol/l) you could try adjusting your Lantus by 1u to 23u

Good luck

Carolin