In need of help

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

alp147 4 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Over the past 2 years (post giving birth) i have had high blood sugar readings in the morning. I did the dafne course in derby and moved to peterborough and was told they do no to dafne here. After my last appointment at the hospital i was told not to worry that my hba1c was creeping up now at 8.2, i left the clinic and cried as i now feel that even the drs have given up on me. I test every night at 1.30am, most reading are high however some are low. So presuming i am hypoing before 1.30am i reduced my fast acting which i have with a snack to 0.5:1, this resulted in a real high.

I am at my wits end, nobody seems to know what is going on, my sugars are all over the place during the day despite careful carb counting and not adjusting my insulin

I am also on 1g dailt metformin m/r which i was put on to combat this rise overnight (this doesnt seem to make much difference)

Can anyone please, please, please give me some advice

ChristineBat... DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
23 posts

Hi ALP, you sound similar to me, after giving birth things went mad. I also have the same HbA1c as you, 8.3%. Preganancy control was easy compared to now! It may be that you are suffering from the dawn phenonemom and a change of BI insulin may help? Testing at 3am is better than 1.30, if you are within target then and wake up high, it probably means you're liver is dumping sugar in preperation for waking up (the dawn phenonemom. I changed from Humulin I to Levemir and it had combated this problem. Due a Hba1c soon and hope it's a bit lower. You may want to read a recent message I sent regarding my control. x

Hi Emma, for many years I felt in control of my diabetes and everything I did worked and made sense. After a beautifully controlled pregnancy things became extremely erratic and for 7 years I battled and lived every day frustrated blaming myself for terrible results. My consultant suggested I do the dafne course but I wasn't convinced it would have been beneficial as I'd been 'counting carbs and adjusting insulin' since the age of 10! However, the course has changed my life and I now don't beat myself up any more. It has taken ages to let go, but I finally feel at peace with my diabetes Emma. I haven't put results on here for a while due to the Christmas period (over eating and correcting)! However, things are calmer and my monthly is over so I'm logging them again. I hope by viewing my diary you feel you are not alone. You will begin to see good results, then after a while it stops working. I eat a pretty regular amount of cps per meal, just cos I can't be bothered to rock the boat! But when I let go I let go big time!
I rarely adjust my ratios, 3:1 at breakfast, 1.5:1 for lunch and 1:1 at dinner time. Correctors work differently at each meal, ranging from 1 unit lowering my bg from 2-6 mmol! One thing I do alter more than anything over the course of a month is my BI. Leading up to my period I can have an extra 6 units per day. I think you'll be able to see my diary from mid October. Happy new year Emma. x

alp147 4 posts

I used to test at 3am for about 6 months and my sugars where stable around 7 - 9 but then i tested at 4 or 5 am and they where low, so i dropped my lantus from 35 and slowly brought it down to 17!!!! and this worked perfectly for about 2 weeks then all went wrong again :/ started with highs and no hypo so started to bring the lantus back up again

ChristineBat... DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
23 posts

That is the same kind of problem I have, things work for a short while, then I have to revert to my previous dosage....then that stops working and I have to go back to something else that had previously stopped working. I tweak by the week! Nothing last for ever.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

if your BG is OK at 3am, then your most likely suffering from Dawn Phenomenon, which happens in everyone, but only causes problems in diabetics, and some struggle more than others with it.........

Are you getting three consecutive on target 3 am tests, if you don't know, it would be wise to do that basal test.........