Ten days on after stopping my Levemir

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

FionaC DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi,
We decided to stop my Levemir, at the end of DAFNE, on the grounds that I seemed to be making a fair bit of insulin, and in particular, to be regulating overnight. We assumed I might have to increase my QA somewhat to compensate.
Generally, I'm running a but higher than previously, but have had a couple of hypos that suggest that increasing my QA is a bit tricky.
I'd really appreciate a chat about these results if possible.
Things to think about:
(1) I'm generally a bit higher in the mornings now. Previously I was usually between 6 and 7, but have been in the high sevens or over 8 regularly.
(2) On Sun 27 I had a hypo, corrected it with dextrose and frusli bar. Four hours later my BG was 16.5 (measured twice and not corrected). We ate Indian food (!) and I had 7CPs and took 5 units, which was quite a conservative ratio. Two and three hours later again it was 4.2 and 10.6 respectively. So, a bit all over the place.
(3) Identical meals and dosages are producing quite varying results. E.g. Brekky and insulin on three days was the same (Mon 28, Wed 30 and Sun 4). One day it dropped my lunchtime BG by 2mmol/l, another day it raised it by more than two, another day raised it by 1. Similarly, three afternoons I've eaten a mince pie, taken 2.5 units for 3.5 CPs, and had: a decrease of 1, and twice had an increase of 2.
(4) it's obviously very tricky that my dose are so small. Half a unit either way makes for quite a big difference in ratios (which, incidentally, the DAFNE software rounds up or down quite crudely at these quantities).
(5) On Sat 3 I had a mildly alarming hypo that came on quite fast. I'd taken a half unit correction with a late breakfast. my record with corrective doses isn't good, and I'm now quite nervous about correcting.
Sorry to go on. I'd really appreciate a chat.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey, would just like to say welcome to the forum..................

You say your still producing insulin that you described as substantial. Are you only recently diagnosed?

Trying to manage diabetes when you insulin production is still present and/or unpredictable must be really hard, impossible even.........

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, sorry but I have removed your phone number from your original post. I'm not being awkward but these forums can be read by anyone ( although you need to be registered to post messages to them) and its for your own safety. Its never a good idea to post personal information to public websites and we don't want to be responsible
for you being phoned by untrustworthy people.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you were put on a DAFNE course if you are still producing a substantial amount of insulin ? How were you diagnosed as having Type 1 ?
as novarapidboi says its a lot easier for most of us since if we don't inject insulin ( including BI) or blood glucose shoots straight up. Have they tried metformin or other
T2 type drugs with you. I'm just curious, I'm not sure we can provide any useful information you really need to talk to a consultant who may be able to help with your
issue. We are generally just graduates with additional input by Health Care Professionals, however to give good advice we would need your medical history which is
why your consultant would be a better bet.
I'm sure people on this site are more than happy to help if they can though, so feel free to ask questions Laughing

FionaC DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

That's fine, Mark.
I thought the forum could only be read by HCPs, and intended that one of my educators would pick it up.
Otherwise I'd've tried to be clearer... I have 'iatrogenic' or medically-induced diabetes (which acts almost exactly like T1), after surgery that removed nearly all of my pancreas. There is no honeymoon period, just drastically reduced insulin production.
Anyway, I have now shared my diary with one of my educators,, and will cease to sow confusion here...
Best regards.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi Fiona, no problem it was an 'interesting' post. It makes sense now ! well almost, they obviously left behind some islets if you can still produce insulin and I would guess you will quite happily keep producing insulin. Its a shame they cannot give you an islet implant since I would guess you have more chance of the transplanted cells keeping working.
Anyway you are welcome to general Diabetes advice but you are quite a unique case Smile

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Sorry for not responding before but I thought one of the nurse educators might reply. Anyhow, as you would have realised Fiona, diabetes due to pancreatic problems produce quite a different pattern, with people being very sensitive to insulin. this is in part because you are still making some insulin which always helps a lot (that is why people find Typical Type 1 diabetes easier to manage during they honeymoon period) but it is also because the pancreas also makes glucagon which pushes glucose up. Take this away and just small amounts of insulin can have powerful effects on lowering glucose. Actually some people with pancreatic diabetes (as opposed to Type 1) can do quite well on small doses of premixed insulin twice daily and it might in the end be simpler although this approach rarely works in Type 1, hence us advocating DAFNE. Simon