Can anyone hive advice please

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

wrijoanne DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
5 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I have been on Dafne after 20 years type 1 for approximate 1 month can anyone advise me on my readings please thankyou

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey there,

the first thing I always look at is BI, and at risk of sounding like a broken record [all my other posts], I would put to you that your BI is not correct ,and therefore trying to work out your QA needs will be difficult at best..........

Example:

Sunday 20/11/2011

6.49 - 7.49: No carbs or QA insulin on board, your blood glucose went up, suggesting your evening BI of 22 is insufficient,however could also be signs of the dawn phenomenon, to confirm DP you should do a 3 am test.

12.43 - 15.00: No carbs but 2 units of correction, your BG still went up, suggesting your BI in the morning is also insufficient. you could confirm this by having a carb free dinner also.

Later on the week you moved your BI up, which is good, but you may need to go further................I personally move my BI dose up 2 units a time, unless there is only a small increase in BG.

So just be patient, and keep increasing your BI dose till it hold you steady, both overnight and during the day.....................my doses are 32 in the morning [6.50] and 38 in the evening [22.00], the later evening dose is because it help with the DP.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

sjohno said:
Very Happy novorapidboi26 obssessed with BI Very Happy

If I could bathe in Levemir I would............... Rolling Eyes

sphillips DAFNE HCP
University Hospitals, Leicester
24 posts

wrijoanne said:

I have been on Dafne after 20 years type 1 for approximate 1 month can anyone advise me on my readings please thankyou

Hi, Have you ruled out all variables e.g. checked equipment is working properly, make sure insulin has not got to hot or cold, make sure your CP estimation is accurate, check injection sites for lumps, have you been ill? I think the carb free meal was a really good thing to try and on that day your results were good, its hard to see a pattern so my advice would be to consider the above variables before making any changes, continue to monitor and try occasional carb free meals and if you're still stuck make an appointment to see on of the DAFNE educators at your centre.