Local Authority Changes

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Aboutsix
University Hospitals, Leicester
4 posts

Was wondering if anyone else had heard about this? Went to my doc the other day to get my test strip number increased so I didn't have to put my repeat prescriptions in so often. I was told that the local authority has been advised that diabetics only need to be testing a maximum of 3 times a day and therefore I shouldn't be testing that much and won't be given more. This is the first time in 18 years that I have ever been told to test less. Cost cutting gone mad?

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

Yes I had an argument with my GP a couple of years ago about this but I believe that they are talking about Type 2 rather than Type 1.
The quantity is an issue still and i'm only allowed a supply for 1 month.

Aboutsix
University Hospitals, Leicester
4 posts

Oh, that's interesting. I was told this was a new thing and I'm type 1. I hope they're not rolling it out across the board.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I would go to your PCT's website and find the link to PALS - Patient Advice and Liaison Service. Contact them and ask them to find out where this 'supposed' advice has come from. It may be this is just a GP excuse and is NOT based on any advice. If it is 'real' advice I would certainly be interested to know what this advice is based on ? Its not come from Diabetes UK or any other central body, so what evidence base are they using to decide this. Its patently stupid to make short term savings on test strips that increase the chances of complications that will cost the NHS a fortune in future.
If you do get any feedback please let us know. This is potentially an issue that could affect many people.

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

Hi Guys,
I had this problem 2 years ago when I was only issued 100 strips/ month. Last month, I discovered my test strips had been removed completely from my repeat. I contacted PALS a week ago and so far they haven't replied. When I queried the removal at the reception desk I was given 2 options. First I could write my request for test strips on my next repeat and my GP would decide whether or not I could have any. Second, I could appeal directly by making an appointment with my GP in order to get the test strips re-instated. Sad I have checked the averages on my meter and I used 150 during the last 30 days which I don't think is excessive at all.

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

PALS have replied and this is their response
It is true that we have across the whole PCT looked to reduce the amount of BGTS we prescribe. We were one of the highest prescribers of BGTS in the country, literally in the top 3 nationally. We went about addressing this in a number of ways. We adopted a formulary so that whilst prescribers were able to prescribe whatever strip they wanted we did have a more limited recommendation of choices of strips. Again historically we prescribed every single strip that was on the market.
Of course the manufacturers didn’t help with any of this dumping free meters in as many paces as possible so patients ended up with two or even three different meters all of which needed different strips fuelling the problem further and not adding anything to clinical well being of patients. In fact despite being a high spending PCT on BGTS (and diabetes generally) we only had low average outcomes.
All this is a bit of background really. The level of prescribing of strips has reduced to nearer to SHA levels however we do want patients have the strips they clinically need. To this end at the same time as putting the formulary in place we did issue expected levels of strip usage for different types of diabetic. So for example Type 1s , as per this patient, would be expected to test more frequently compared to Type 2s.
If you let me have the patient & practice details I’ll make sure the practice has a copy sent again of the expected frequency of testing. This should help ensure that the patient is able to obtain the number of strips needed for his recommended testing regimen.