Do I delay my BI insulin time when I have to do a blood test in the morning?

5 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

melpessoa DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
7 posts

Hi there, I have to do a blood test at the walk in centre tomorrow and I wonder if I have to delay my BI insulin dose in the morning, or do I take it as normal(at around 730am) and do the blood test at around 9am?
Before the dafne course I used to have my insulin after the blood test being done,,, and now... should I have it on time or after the blood test has been done?
Thank you for your help,
mel Shocked

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hi Mel...............

I can only assume the blood test you are referring to is the HbA1c, the most significant for us Diabetics..........

If it is then you should never have to stop or delay taking your insulin, your finger test/real time blood glucose will never effect the result of you HbA1c result.......

So in my non professional opinion, take your background on the normal time you usually do, no blood test should risk the control of your blood sugar levels....

Did a health care professional tell you to not take your insulin till later previously?

melpessoa DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
7 posts

Hiiii!!! Thank you for the reply! Well! Those things that we used to believe in the past!
I come from Brazil and there my doctor used to tell me to have insulin only after the HbA1c being done... and so now that I started splitting my BI dose I got confused about it!
I had forgotten to ask my diabetic nurse! I will do the blood test on Monday then! Take care, mel

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I hope the results are good............. Wink

melpessoa DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
7 posts

Very Happy kkkk ahhh and so do I!!!
but I think I made it!!!
thank you,
mel