Protein and Fats

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

sdickey
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
1 post

Hi
I often struggle with Hypos after eating meals with protein / fat content because of the slowed absorption of glucose into the blood stream. I would like to understand whether these foods would also impact on the treatment of the hypo i.e. would the treatment's absorption into the blood be slowed?

If this is the case, how would you recommend I treat Hypos after eating foods high in protein?

Thanks
Steve

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

sdickey said:
Hi
I often struggle with Hypos after eating meals with protein / fat content because of the slowed absorption of glucose into the blood stream. I would like to understand whether these foods would also impact on the treatment of the hypo i.e. would the treatment's absorption into the blood be slowed?

If this is the case, how would you recommend I treat Hypos after eating foods high in protein?

Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve, It would be best to post your BGLs etc on the online diary to get a visual as it's more helpful to get the info you require. I find when eating food containing fat that I go the other way & stay high for up to 6 or 7 hours after!!
Good luck.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would probably treat the hypo with a sugary drink or Lucozade.........

These will be absorbed the quickest and probably wont be effected by the more slowly absorbed items..........

I think the most significant thing that does this is high fat foods, as opposed to high protein, and people often find they get a BG spike later on after eating..........this can be tackled with a split dose of QA, most of the time fairly successfully, but you would need to experiment.....

You say you often struggle with lows................?Could you give an example of the meal you are eating when this happens.......