exporting diary entries

10 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

RachelA DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
10 posts

Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else already. I have tried to export my diary entries to an xml file using the link in the diary page, but I just get a screen of text appearing which can not be saved as an xml file - any ideas?

Thanks

Rachel

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hi Rachel,

Just right click on the 'XML Export of currently displayed results' link and choose 'Save target as' and you should be able to save it as a .xml file.

NiVZ

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

What browser are you using - have had this with Firefox downloading XML before - but it wasn't from here.

RachelA DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
10 posts

Nivz thanks for that, I had not thought of right clicking on it. I have got it working now.

Rachel

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Hello all..

Not quite the same subject, but relating the the Diary Summary. (which I find invaluable to spot trends and plan corrective action), could this be made available as a download for excel (.xls) as I currently need to retype the data, so I can highlight problem results and than add comments and the rationale for treatment change.

This system works well for me and should provide an interesting discussion at the next clinic!

Cheers, John

Karl DAFNE Graduate
83 posts

excel can open xml - just change the file type in the open screen

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

John - you should be able to copy and paste the results from the summary view into an Excel spreadsheet, rather than typing them in. I'll put an XML export for the summary on our to do list as well. It's quite difficult to do an Excel (.xls) export as the way Microsoft structures its data in Excel is hard to create without using Excel, if that makes sense.

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Thanks very much Karl & Simon for your suggestions ...

Had a peer at the excel files types available to me (Excel 9.0.2720 w98!) and .xml is indeed there with description MS Excel 4 macros .. is that the correct type?

Tried cut & paste of selected area of summary print page and got all the data but all in a single cell in the target sheet.. do iI need to use a 'special' excel copy function? .. seem to remember there are a few.

Thanks, John

Karl DAFNE Graduate
83 posts

Hi John
Done some web reading and testing - if you download
http://www.brothersoft.com/a7soft-xml2csv-download-69269.html and unzip to a folder on your c: drive say c:\diary put your downloaded diary in here also . go to a command prompt - start - run - type cmd - enter - select the folder as earlier by cd c:\diary enter then paste (right mouse paste) xml2csv diary.xml diary.csv "entry_time,blood_glucose,carbohydrate_portions,quick_insulin,background_insulin,ratio,entry_type,target_min_bg,target_max_bg,comments" and press enter. This will make (hopefully) a csv comma-separated values file with the name diary.cvs in your diary folder on your c drive - any version of excel will open this file :-) hope this helps. if you have a problem either email me at karl at addrison dot co dot uk are reply / message here

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Thanks for the info Karl - it may be worth us adding a CSV export function onto the diary too to make things easier, rather than requiring a download of something else.

John - not sure about this, I'd assumed as it was an HTML table excel would handle it nicely, obviously not so my apologies. I'll work on the above to make it simpler.

Simon