New diagnosis

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

My sister was diagnosed type 1 2 nights ago! How very strange that I was 23 and 5 years later she is diagnosed at 24. I'm very frustrated because my dad and her mother in law who are type 2 are giving her wron advice about foods. The hospital gave her a pie, mash and beans and they freaked saying that's not a diabetic dinner and beans are full of sugar!! Oh dear lord it gets my back up that people don't have a clue about type 1 and that it's very different to type 2!! Is it just me over reacting or does anyone else feel my frustration!!!
Sam

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

No, your not over reacting...........she wouldn't be any worse off having type 2 suited meals though......

But as you know that type 1 patients can eat what they want with the right training it will be frustrating......

I would feel the same, but I would be excited as well as its a great opportunity to educate these people......

Go forth and educate, and while your at it, get your sister on a DAFNE course.....

Smile

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Just realised I posted in wrong bit! Oh well!
Thanks. She's still in hospital they're not happy with her BGs so keeping a closer eye on her. Poor wee soul must be frustrated! I've spoke to her and told her to listen to the professionals and me haha! She's asking lots of questions and I can happily answer them. They won't have her carb counting until she stabilises a bit. I've told her to get on dafne which will make all the difference.
Thanks for listening to my rant Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

A stay in hospital is normal at the start. Managing blood sugar at this time can be tricky as I am sure you know.........