Glycaemic Index

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I couldn't find any reference to GI in DAFNE Online and wondered whether it might be a useful feature. I know that DAFNE allows an 'eat what you like' approach to food, but I've also been told that a meal containing a mixture of low, medium and high GI items can give a steady release of glucose into the system, which is better than a sudden rush of glucose - which a high GI meal gives you.
There are Glycaemic Index tables on the web and I wondered whether a link to one of these (e.g. www.glycaemicindex.com) would be something you might think feasible. A brief explanation of the Glycaemic Index might be necessary for those not familiar with it.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi Alan,

In my mind this would fit in nicely with our current CP listing - what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Simon

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Alan,
While I think this is a good idea, I'm not sure about referencing an external source that we have no control over. The web is a free for all publishing media where often the facts are only a minor inconvenience. For that reason I would rather ask DAFNE Central if they can provide us with GI infromation to publish ourselves. That way it comes from the 'DAFNE' source and hopefully can be considered accurate. I will ask the question and post what I get in response back here

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

I apologise - there IS a reference to the Glycaemic Index in the DAFNE Course Handbook section. It gives a short list of high GI items and a list of low GI items. I appreciate that compiling and maintaining a full Glycaemic Index list would be quite a task, but I'm sure this facility would enhance DAFNE Online's reputation as a source of useful information.

Alan

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

Marke

Any response on this yet?

Alan

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Alan,
This is the only response I have had so far, now you have reminded me I will chase it up again.

"will run past some educators and get back to you; I know they are not keen to give more information in the DAFNE course (hence we have not developed any GI resource) as GI is a difficult area."