Targets range

8 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Annette Bell DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
68 posts

Hi!
I was printing off my graphs for my diabetic clinic check today and realised that the BG targets on them don't actually reflect the targets I have entered on my iPod app. My upper target is 8 at all times of the day and my lower is 4 (apart from driving) as this seems to suit me best for correctional purposes. The target bands on the graph, however, vary through the day and tend to be lower than 8. This makes my results look a lot worse than they are, when my HbA1c is 6.2. Is there a way of personalising the target bands in the graphs?

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Hello Annette
I think the graphs use the DAFNE Online targets which are autoomatically set to the DAFNE recommended targets. You can amend these targets by going to the BG Diary and then scrolling down and clicking on Edit Diary Settings (or something similar to this). You can then amend whatever Target you like.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Yep, Alan is right... The targets set in the app and site are separate... In the future I will try and sync target settings in the app up to the site as well.

68 posts

Thanks both - targets online duly amended! My graphs look much better now Wink

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Annette Bell said:
Thanks both - targets online duly amended! My graphs look much better now Wink

You're not cheating and setting 2 to 15 as target are you? Wink That's my trick

Phil

Carolin DAFNE HCP
83 posts

Hi All,

Just a reminder that we recommend the lower end of targets at any time of the day is 4.5mmol/l (not 4); this is important in maintaining good hypo awareness.

Current guidelines:
BG below 3.5mmol/l (hypo) you should TREAT with 1.5 - 2 CPs rapid-acting carbs
BG 3.5 - 4.5mmol/l (below target) you should EAT 1 CP (or if a mealtime, reduce QA dose by 1u) to get back into safe target range

Carolin

68 posts

Thanks Carolin. I thought I remembered being told "4 is the floor". i.e. 4 should be the lower limit before any corrective action was taken. I will change my target ranges accordingly. I still don't understand the effect of exercise on my BG. I usually do some aerobic type exercise first thing in the morning, but don't have any breakfast, therefore, don't have any QA insulin. My BG has usually risen considerably by lunchtime even if my "breakfast" BG is relatively low. Confused

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Annette,

It's counter intuitive to what I got told and probably most diabetics in the past, but you need some insulin (horrid balancing act though as too much and hypo) in the system before exercise, if there isn't any the body can't get the energy it needs from the sugar in the blood and the liver panics and kicks some more sugar out (helpful).

Not sure if this helps explain the high? Might need a couple of units of QA before exercise, have some sugar handy too though, balancing act Exclamation

Phil