Spirits and Wines

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

ReNZoR 5 posts

Hey

I am new here, as you can already tell Smile My name is Stuart and I started the DAFNE course today (21st Feb) and so far have found it informative and very much an eye opening experience. I am looking forward to what will open up over the next few days and with any luck, it will assist me to gain better glycemic control finally after almost 18 years.

I have been looking through the DAFNE provided Carbohydrate Portion List booklet that was provided, and even though I am aware that it doesn't contain every possible item of food or drink, I did notice something missing that I was wondering about.

In the Alcohol section there are entries for Liqueur, Port, Beer/Lager etc, but no entries for what I would term Spirits such as Jack Daniels, Tequila, Rum, Gin, Vodka and Brandy to name a few. Unless I am grouping them wrong? What would be the Carbohydrate Portion for say a shot of Jack Daniels or Tequila?

Also, Wines... no entry for White or Red wines? Does anybody have any idea what the CP would be for say a glass of White (Dry or Sweet) or Red wine?

Hoping someone out there can help Smile

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Stuart

Welcome and good luck with the course - you will learn loads, and it does help.

The wine, spirits etc should be covered on your course, but as a quick rule of thumb, the normal table wines wouldn't be counted, where as beers will be. From memory it goes along the lines of, those made from grain, you count, and those made from the grape you don't, it gets a little more difficult when you get to the spirits as they have a higher alcohol content and its harder to work out what they are made from.

It should all be covered in your course though.

ReNZoR 5 posts

Thanks very much for your reply mate Smile

I guess I am jumping the gun a bit in reality :/ But thank you once again Smile

Day two is about to start so I better be off and continue getting ready!

Thanks again Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

All standalone spirits have no carbohydrate in them, that's any spirit, so noticing if it has been pre mixed with anything is essential..........but in the context I think you are talking about it will just be spirits on there own......

I am a red wine drinker myself and these have no carbohydrate either, neither do the whites, however there are some varieties out there that may have some, possibly maybe the sweet varieties you mentioned above......

Obviously the beers and ciders have carbohydrates so watch out for them...

As a Scotsman I find myself drinking Buckfast Tonic Wine, looks very similar to a bottle of red however it is packed with natural sugars and caffeine and it doesn't tell you this on the bottle, I had to contact the company for carb values, 90g in it, so considerable, just watch out for things like that, hopefully most of the time these things will seem obvious...

ReNZoR 5 posts

Hey Smile Thanks for the reply mate :0

I generally only drink Tequila or Jack Daniels that I mix myself with diet lemonade. From what I can tell on the bottles, nothing seems to have been added to the mix. I stay away from pre-mixed drinks like WKD etc.

As for the wines, I did actually make a mistake. I meant Dry and Sparkling white wines lol, not Sweet. I guess the Dry and Sparkling varieties would be much the same as the red wine regarding no carbohydrate?

Lager I do drink, but not since starting DAFNE... the carbohydrate booklet states 1 CP for 1 pint (575ml), however the cans I have are 440ml , 135ml off being 1 pint. I need to work that one out before I start drinking those again, as I don't really want to be over or under dosing myself. The other problem being my syringes (I have owned NovoPen etc and disliked it:/) are 1unit increment, not 0.5, I need to sort that out as some things that are 1.5 CP I cant inject 1.5, I end up either not eating those foods or eating double or matching something to them to round the numbers up.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help Smile

Stuart

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Depending on your sensitivity to carbs and insulin of course, you could just round up, that's what I do all the time, that means I can be sure I will be on target, even if on the lower side, but I seldomly am on the lower side strangely, if your having something that is 1.5CPs (15g) and only that then just disregard it, if more than one you could try even numbers, then you will be sorted.........

As I say, some people need to count there carbs right down to one decimal place, but if that's the case then pumping is the best option....

Try rounding up, record your results and then make a decision on whether you should be so accurate...