calories affecting insulin required?

5 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

emmahope DAFNE Graduate
St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
17 posts

I havent done DAFNE yet but am following principles as far as I know them.Do others notice that its not just cps that affect insulin requirements but non carbohydrate containing calories too? This is the case for me,borne out of experience. Thanks

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi Emma,

I have done DAFNE and one of the things that has really hit home for me is that we are all different...for example I need to count two chicken drumsticks as 1CP. When I raised this as a theory with the dietician she confirmed that 150g of protein (more than I usually have) may very well need to be "covered" by a small dose of insulin. I also steer away from fat calories as they also have a crucial (and disproportionate) effect on my BGs after meals. I believe it has something to do with fat effecting glucose absorption....or something. Are you booked in to do DAFNE? I found it unbelievably informative and as it gave me more answers I am much more conscious of the whole diabetes situation. Good luck.
Helen

emmahope DAFNE Graduate
St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
17 posts

HI Helen, thanks for that.It's reassuring to hear -when I've put it to hcps they just dismissed it, which gave me a sense that 'whatever I do I cant get it right'.I'm looking forward to doing DAFNE 2nd week of February,a bit trepidatious but I'm sure it will be great to compare notes with others living with other type ones. Best, Emma

kymmbo46 DAFNE Graduate
Ballarat Community Health Centre, Victoria
2 posts

Hi Emma and helen,
I have just completed the DAFNE course and have found the information invaluable. It really does clarify issues and let you focus on gaining control of your life and you have support to look at problems when they arize and most of all you'll find you are not alone....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I don't personally account for anything other than countable carbohydrates but I have heard of people counting their proteins, like meat and eggs......................more commonly people on pumps, this is because the insulin they are using is just one type, novorapid, so there is no slow acting insulin dealing with slow and negligible glucose production from these foods, even though there is what they call a basal dose being delivered constantly through the day...........

But everyone is different and can be sensitive in terms of digestion........

God Luck with DAFNE and I look forward to seeing you on here as a fully fledged graduate...............