Vegetables affect BMs?

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

niamh
University College Hospital, Galway
3 posts

Hi, I was checking my ratios and 4 hours after my last meal bm's were 7.6(still outside target but hour left in QA insulin's action which should have brought them lower). I decided to have can of tomatoes,red pepper,1 carrot and chicken fillet as dinner and took no insulin as I was told there was no need when just eating veg and protein. However an hour later BM's shot up to 11.8. Can someone tell me if carbs in veg should be injected for or if perhaps it was failure of BI insulin(i.e insufficient amount to keep BMs stable when no novorapid online).Thanks

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would say it is the BI, although some tinned stuff may have additives, just check the labels..........................obviously large amounts may effect the blood sugar..........maybe the can of tomatoes had some sugar in them..............

niamh
University College Hospital, Galway
3 posts

hi, thanks!, i'd just like to add definately no added sugar to tomatoes, maybe naturally ocurring carbohydrates?

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

There are some carbs in veggies......but its only very small amounts..... I am going with background dose as it was the only variable working.....the best thing to do is have the same meal again and see what happens

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

Tomatoes do contain some sugars, and especially tinned tomatoes. Nearly all canned or processed foods will contain some carbs, but they are small.

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

I checked the carb content of a 400 gram can of tomatoes in my pantry. Label read: Carbohydrate 3.0 grams per 100 gm serving size, so say if you ate a 400 gm tin, it works out to be 12 carbs = 1 cp. But that's in Australia & I don't know if you work it out differently on your side of the world ?

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

exactly right maria............its the same here...........