muesli?

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

charlotte77 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

Hi - I am having high blood sugars three or four hours after eating muesli despite being in range beforehand. I know I'm counting the carbs properly so not sure what is going on - does anyone else have this problem?

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

I've also found muesli quite difficult to assess. Rolled oats are lower in GI (Glycemic Index) than many other breakfast cereals. Which means that the body breaks the sugar down more slowly, so your sugar will be higher for a little longer.

Muesli - is very high in carbs. Make sure that you are not falling into the "not realising where it says- per 100g" trap. Also remember to count the 0.5 CP or so milk that you put on it.

Also I think, sometimes manufacturers get the carbs wrong. In the case of muesli, the carbohydrate comes from the rolled outs and corn that may be in it. There may also be added sugar in dried fruit. But the quantities of these items and how they contribute to overall weight, may vary from when they made their assessment of carb values.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I epxerience spikes in my BG after lunch that I have been trying to combat but with not too much success........

Something similar might be going on here....

DAFNE say you dont need to test in between meals, thats ok if you have a small rise then back down to target........

I have heard some people say if the CHO portion is quite high 12CP+ then you can considering splitting the QA dose to deal with the delayed glucose release.......

I have tried this with varying results, so no joy as yet......

If you cant go without your meusli in the mornings this might be an option to try......

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Hi

is this your standard breakfast - could it be your ratio is wrong?

charlotte77 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

No normally have weetabix - just fancied something different. I think I'll look again as not keen enough on Muesli for all this hassle!!

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

No you don't need to give up Muesli altogether - I have it often and its still possible to inject the right amount. Just need to be prepared for it to be slightly higher sugars for a little longer thats all

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

try half before and half 30 minutes later, do regular test up until lunch.........its all about experimenting.......