Sultanas

5 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

GR156 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

Hi,

I've been eating home made desserts and cakes that have contained sultanasa, and have been finding that later when I test my blood sugar are 3-4 mmol higher. As far as I can tell my carb counting for the rest is a spot on as can be which has lead me to feel that its down to the sultanas.

I was wondering if any one else has found this....

Any advice much appreciated

Guy

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I use sultanas as a safeguard against night hypos. In my early days of DAFNE, I checked the sultana packet for the correct carbohydrates and weight. I reckoned that 3 handfuls of mine [I'm only small] was approximately 1 CP. So, if my BG is around 4 - 5 before bed, I will often have 2 or 3 handfuls of sultanas to prevent any lows during the night. It works for me.

Have you not checked the weight of sultanas you are adding to your recipe, and taking into account relevant CP's, when judging your portion of the pud?

GR156 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

Cheers for that.

The next time they turn up in a recipe I'll give it a try.

Frankston Ho... DAFNE HCP
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
1 post

Hi, great to read the comments, yes it would be the saltana's, they are grapes, but dehydrated. You will need to incorporate the carb amount of the saltanas in the cake recipe as you do the other carb ingredients.
Nic

oilly DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
2 posts

i am a sultana/raisin addict, every morning i have a good handful with my muesli, i've since had to start weighing them to get my CPs and dose right, 25g of raisins, which would scantily cover the bottom of a breakfast bowl is worth 1.5 cps