Low carb bread

5 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

I have been using an Aldi low carb bread that has for two slices five carbs. I was finding that my fast acting insulin instead of being lowered had to be increased to the level of having my two normal 15g of carb slices of bread. Befuddled, I asked my dietician who looked at the nutritional information and stated that the fats in the low carb bread was 12.8 and the protein 23.8 for the two slices. Could someone assist me with the question if the higher fats and protein lead to an increased insulin requirement will it also have an effect on weight gain even though it’s low carb bread?

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi, I also did some research into locarb bread and found that it was much higher in fat and protein and often sodium. I decided to stick with the high fibre, low GI, seed and grain rolls. (I buy mine from W'worths). They have a carb value for weight which I find helpful. I think weight gain/loss is a very complex problem and am not qualified to assist. Helen

torana DAFNE Graduate
53 posts

Hi Helen,
Thanks for your reply. It is clear that the nutritional information states that two pieces of Aldi Lo carb bread is two pieces for five grams of carbs as opposed to other bread approximately two pieces for thirty grams of carb. Of course, it is difficult to estimate insulin dosages with the higher fats and protein to take into consideration but WOW what a difference in the carb intake throughout the day especially if one wants to lose weight! I have also found my sugars are much more stable after the meal, most probably due to the low GI index of the bread.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Thanks Torana, I will have another look at the Aldi local bread but as I don't eat much bread I will probably stick with the low GI stuff from W'worths. Good Luck, Helen

torana DAFNE Graduate
53 posts

Hi Helen,
I tend to agree with you that it it is all so confusing, that is the Lo Carbs Aldi bread combined with higher fats and proteins will lead to weight loss. Even one of my friends today told me he was not eating avocados as the higher fats will lead to weight gain. I disagreed with him as it has always been free food in my diet and not a concern due to the “good fats.” It is also such a hassle guesstimating the insulin dosages due to the higher fats and proteins without substantive proof that Aldi Lo carb bread will necessarily lead to weight loss.