Red papaya

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
8 posts

Just wondering how DAFNE treats red papaya (paw paw) In some carb counting sites they say 140 grames = 9.7 grms Carb but in other places it says No carbs??

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

the my fitness pal website, which has a large database of official and user uploaded nutritional info, states 7g or carbs per 100g of fruit......

its also has a medium glycaemic index which rules out a slower absorbed item where you could get away with not taking any bolus insulin.....

going on the above info you could certainly carry out some test to see what it does to you....

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Hi Jo, I certainly count red papaya as carbs. Mine are home grown and I believe sweeter than the shop bought variety. I count it as equivalent to apple ( 100g weight = 10g carb). This works out OK. But I do find fruit to be a bit of a guessing game re weight as I certainly do not weigh each piece of fruit! They are delicious at the moment! Best with a small banana and a squeeze of lime (25g carbs all up). Best wishes, Helen

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
the my fitness pal website, which has a large database of official and user uploaded nutritional info, states 7g or carbs per 100g of fruit......

its also has a medium glycaemic index which rules out a slower absorbed item where you could get away with not taking any bolus insulin.....

going on the above info you could certainly carry out some test to see what it does to you....

Thanks will certainly trial the carb info on red papaya!!

Jo Smith DAFNE Graduate
8 posts

HelenP said:
Hi Jo, I certainly count red papaya as carbs. Mine are home grown and I believe sweeter than the shop bought variety. I count it as equivalent to apple ( 100g weight = 10g carb). This works out OK. But I do find fruit to be a bit of a guessing game re weight as I certainly do not weigh each piece of fruit! They are delicious at the moment! Best with a small banana and a squeeze of lime (25g carbs all up). Best wishes, Helen

Thanks Helen, Fruit is certainly a guessing game at times but I will try the carb count next time I eat this delicious fruit!