Never carb counted

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

kelly3392 1 post

Hello,
I'm 25 years old been a diabetic for 17years, I have never been introduced to carb counting and haven't done the course can you learn online how to do it or do you have to do the course ?
My last HBA1C was 87 which has come down a lot since last year !
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
421 posts

Hi Kelly,

To learn the DAFNE principles, you need to do the course, but carb-counting itself can be learned outside of the course. DAFNE isn't available online but teaches you how to use carb counting to calculate the appropriate basal and bolus doses. If you are able to attend a course, then I highly recommend it. It is extremely helpful even for those who have had T1D for decades.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

BERTIE Online

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi Kelly3392
It will be a tremendous advantage to be able to carb count and give appropriate dosage of insulin by doing a DAFNE course. I can highly recommend that you give it a try after so many years. Over 17 years there have been improvements in insulin that make them measurable and thus adjustable. Therefore this makes the intake of carbs able to be varied and and changed to individual requirements. I have used all the insulins over the years and had to suffer with lack of control and be uneducated in new invaluable research of how to tame this wild medicinal horse and at least have the reins to steer. Truly, taking insulin without a DAFNE course is like driving a car without a steering wheel. I can’t recommend the DAFNE course highly enough in able to be able to take some control over your diabetes.