3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Happygurl 2 posts

Hello Everyone
I recently graduated and am pleased to join this group. I just wanted to introduce myself. My HbA1C is 53 and i would like to get it down to 47 or below.
I find that colder days and winter months have me craving carbs and doing less activity. Logically I know this does not help me but I do find it really hard. May I ask how you get motivated to exercise ( I don't have a dog either-love my cats) during these dull cold days?
What tools do you use the keep your carbs low but your body content with a good warming 'hearty' meal in autumn and winter months?
Many thanks in advance Laughing

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Welcome Happygurl. I find soups are good. Lots of vegetables and you can choose whether to make it with higher carb vegetables like potato and pumpkin, or lower-carb options like kale, mushroom, broccoli etc.

As far as exercise goes, I find it is is best to try and incorporate incidental exercise into daily life. For example, I hate commuting on public transport, so I cycle to work and get to work in a much better mood then if I used PT or drove to work.

All the best with getting the A1c down.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As a DAFNE graduate you should have all the tools at your disposal to still manage your BG successfully and have the winter carbs you crave [within reason]....

Some people find that seasonal changes may change the background needs and so a basal test would be wise on a regular basis...

I know I haven't answered your questions as such but you should be able to adjust doses to compensate for the changing seasons and appetites....