white rice

6 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

meakin DAFNE Graduate
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Does anybody have trouble with white rice.I've just been DAFNE trained and I am having a problem with rice.I am taking the correct QA insulin but I regular then suffer a low blood sugar after a couple of hours as if the insulin is working quicker than the rice is.Any suggestions please.

glen4 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
46 posts

You weigh the rice after its cooked? Rice is slow acting carbs so maybe lower your insulin dose? What's your readings 2-3 hours later?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

When I was on 2 daily injections of BI and no QA, I had to avoid white rice as it would send my BGs sky high for hours before they finally came down. Brown rice, I had no such trouble.

It actually sounds like you are taking too much QA for the rice. What happens if you take less? I no longer know for myself as even after switching to a regime of BI and QA I avoid white rice. There are so many more nutrients in brown rice than white that I just don't feel I can go back. Unfortunately finding a restaurant that serves brown rice is near impossible.

Gus DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
10 posts

Hi,if this is rice you're eating at home, I suggest you weigh it dry before cooking - and after, this will allow you to adjust for the water content and have a more accurate estimate of the CP count. Once you've done this a few times you should be better able to estimate the CP count visually or be weiging it once after it's been cooked

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Agreed - it's a lot safer to go by the pre-cooked weight when working out carbs because the added water from cooking can vary the cooked weight by a lot. Same goes for pasta (water is added during cooking) and most types of jacket potatoes depending how how they're cooked (water is lost when the weight shift occurs so it's still worth the pre-cooked weigh in to keep things simple).

Whenever I'm ever dealing with cooked that wasn't weighed, I expect it to be high risk because of the above knowledge. All the best!

neady23
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
4 posts

hi very late response sos, i find with certain foods including rice that i need to take half the amount of insulin before and half after or i hypo, i do this with pizza too, i think some foods are slower than then the insulin. this happens if the carb/insulin dose is high if its a modest dose then its not as bad