Fruit juice V fruit

6 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Julieblu1 DAFNE Graduate
Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon
1 post

Encouraged by my very healthy son I've just bought a juicer. It's been mentioned by some of my friends that Juiced fruits are higher in CPs than whole fruit. Due to the fact that no effort/ energy goes into drinking fruit juice a opposed to chewing an apple for example. Anyone have any experience of this? How do I work out CPs for fruit juice?

Brumfoodie DAFNE Graduate
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

I would add up all the carbs in the fruit you are juicing -weigh rather than estimate - and make a note of the total for later reference. Juice everything and measure the weight of the juice. It will be far less than you'd expect. The weight in grammes will be the volume in millilitres .
To work out the CP: Divide total carbs by the weight/volume and multiply by 100.The figure you have is the carbs per 100ml/g. Divide by 10 for CP
Most juices are about 1CP per 100ml but smoothies with bananas and mango will be higher.

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

I got the impression that fruit (unjuiced) was better than juice, due to tendency to drink more juice (so probably contains more CPs), and it lacks fibre in whole fruit which might contribute to feeling sated. But probably still better than commercial juices. But I like unsweetened stewed rhubarb so my tastes may be a bit odd Question

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

It really depends on the juicer you use. If you use the likes of the Nutribullet which juices the whole fruit then the CP should be the same. If the machine leaves a pulp behind after juicing then you are left with just a sugary drink.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I think that the main problem from a juicer is that it is very easy to drink the juice from say 8 apples, while the odds of you wanting to eat an entire 8 apples in one sitting is extremely low. Therefore, you are more likely to have a large amount of carb in one sitting than you are from their un-juiced form.

I don't think that juiced fruits are higher in CPs than un-juiced ones - it would defy physics for carbs to be added just by using a juicer, but the sugar in them will be more quickly absorbed than from eating fruit in an un-juiced form, so you are likely to see a steeper rise in BGs than you would otherwise.

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

my old Dafne carbohydrate portion book gives a value of 1glas 160ml = 1.5 portions cho for fruit juice. I have a bottle each week from my milkman and always apply this value to it. Seems to work ok.