Packaged food without total weight

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Moray Nairn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
3 posts

Has anyone else been UNBELIEVABLY annoyed by pacakaged foods which have the nutritional content included per 100g, but then fail to even report the weight of the item which is being sold?!!!

I'm looking at a range of Tesco cakes, and there are brownies and millionaire shortbread and rocky roads - all of which are high in carbohydrate, and I can see that the CHO content varies from 50 to 70g per 100g. Great. Now I can go ahead and estimate my carbohydrate consumption... but no, actually I can't because I have no idea how much of the food is in the package! There are 22 slices of millionaire shortbread, and there are the mini-nutritional content on teh front showing the calorie and fat content per unit, but not the carb. So I can laboriously calculate the per item carb content by figuring out what proprotion of the total calorific value each individual slice is, and then applying that ratio to the total carbohydrate content of the whole package!

Annoying. I had thought that all food products had to have a record of the total weight of each package, but perhaps not......

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

I sympathise. Some people find the necessary maths too difficult to do and make Carbohydrate intake errors as a result.
I've complained in the past about alcoholic drinks which show an alcohol unit value but no CHO value.
Now I see that there is a media supported push to get calorific values on drinks labelling.......but still no support for us. It really hacks me off. There are some 400,000 type 1s in the UK now. Surely we warrant some support.
Regards
Garry

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Moray Nairn said:
Has anyone else been UNBELIEVABLY annoyed by pacakaged foods which have the nutritional content included per 100g, but then fail to even report the weight of the item which is being sold?!!!

I'm looking at a range of Tesco cakes, and there are brownies and millionaire shortbread and rocky roads - all of which are high in carbohydrate, and I can see that the CHO content varies from 50 to 70g per 100g. Great. Now I can go ahead and estimate my carbohydrate consumption... but no, actually I can't because I have no idea how much of the food is in the package! There are 22 slices of millionaire shortbread, and there are the mini-nutritional content on teh front showing the calorie and fat content per unit, but not the carb. So I can laboriously calculate the per item carb content by figuring out what proprotion of the total calorific value each individual slice is, and then applying that ratio to the total carbohydrate content of the whole package!

Annoying. I had thought that all food products had to have a record of the total weight of each package, but perhaps not......

Moray - I agree, I find it extremely irritating that when you pick up something and there is the total per 100g but no total weight of the item - I am perfectly capable of doing a small bit of maths, but I need the info to work with.

What I also find bizarre is that - and again this was tesgrots but it's not exclusive to them, I picked up one packet of sandwiches to see the CHO, and they had them per pack - great, but a different flavour - in the same range, only had per 100g and no total weight. The problem was didn't really fancy the first one, and would have preferred the second, but had no idea what the CHO content was.

I accept that someone will say, then don't buy at Tesco's then, but what about my ability to choose what I would like - and on this occasion there were no other stores within 30 mins walking and I was on a lunch break on a course and only had 45 mins - so was stuck at Tesgrots. Also this isn't limited to just them - nearly all the big stores do this on some of their items - and IT IS REALLY annoying.