Nutritional Values on package food

8 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I always use the Nutritional Values on package food to calculate my Carbohydrate Portions and most times they are very helpful. When they are in tabular form they are easy to read - there is a column for values per 100g and a separate column for values per pack. I have problems, however, when they are just text - a string of words and numbers. The text size is usually quite small - too small for my poor old eyes - and on a couple of occasions I have used the 'per 100g' value instead of the 'per pack' value and not injected enough QA.

Has anybody else had this problem?

stephenbrowne DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
37 posts

Hi Alan,
I have also found it helpful to check the nutritional values on packets but as you say it sometimes takes a bit of mental arithmetic if it is in G of cho/100G product instead of per portion and I have occasionaly run in to trouble by making a mistake in my calculation!

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

I have a credit card sized magnifier (with a built-in light!) which I keep in my wallet for reading those pesky tiny-text nutrition details!

Stew

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

Where did you buy your credit card size magnifier Stew? Sounds useful .. Razz

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Hi Mark, my better half got it for me - from EBay I think!

Stew

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

You could also take a pic of it with your phone and then enlarge the picture on your phone :-)

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I'm afraid that's not possible for me, Susan - I'm one of the few people without a smart-phone.

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

Smile