Corn on the cob

11 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

geordiesgirl DAFNE Graduate
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust
16 posts

Has anybody had issues with corn on the cob. Last night had it for my tea...followed the carbs on the food label to work out my insulin bolus. Two hrs later blood sugar went below 4 and took 3 hrs to get it back up despite eating a lot of extra carbs. Where did i go wrong ? Sad

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

Isn't corn in the cob low GI?? I generally don't bolus for any veg I eat

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

I too wouldn't give any QA for veg or salad.

The problem might have been packet food, the carbs a packet reckons there is in something include carbs in veg (which there is), but I wouldn't count as background covers this, so packet amounts often higher than I would guesstimate. I often go hypo if I use figures directly from a packet.

JennyNZ 29 posts

I don't bolus for corn - low GI Same with popcorn

geordiesgirl DAFNE Graduate
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust
16 posts

Thankyou for your replies. I have always bolused for sweetcorn / corn on the cobs. in the carbs and cals book a 170g cob is 20g cobs

Nat-Sav DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
15 posts

This is why we need DAFNE Smile . When it comes to working out QA, carbohydrate info from packets/carbs&cals is not always a sufficient guide on its own. I would get things so wrong without DAFNE training: I now know that nuts, veg, cherries, pulses etc. need to be considered carefully.

DianeH DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
7 posts

Hi. I don't usually count sweetcorn if it is a spoonful of frozen but if I have corn on the cob I count about half of the 'value'. That seems to work. (as far as anything does for me!) Laughing

Gus DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
10 posts

Corn on the cob is a high fibre source of carbs, so it takes longer to feed through to your BG levels. I notice mine are higher 4-5 hrs later when I eat low GI foods

Richard Bennett DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
1 post

Put simply, because of corn being high in fibre your body doesn't really digest or make use of a lot of the carbs in corn (carrot etc), hence the reason you'll often see these foods in the toilet, often fully in tact! Sorry for being so explicit! Embarassed

DavidBlackman DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
6 posts

Because Corn on the Cob is fairly high in fibre I reduce my dose from my standard ratio. I think I add 1 or 2 units then see what it looks like 2 hours after eating, also depends on what was eaten with the corn.