CP free lunch

19 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Dr Bernstein's why I am now low carb, avg BG about 5(ish), so much more stable too.

I also find I don't much or any carbs for exercise which is a bonus.

neady23
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
4 posts

Warwick said:
A carb-free meal with protein will usually require a bolus taken with it. For myself, I usually need to dose the same as for carbs, so if I am having 40 grams of protein, then I would take the same amount of insulin. as if I was taking 40 gram of carbs.

I do take issue with the fact that we need carbs as part of our diet. That is not true. We need protein - essential amino acids - and we need fats - essential fatty acids - but there is no such thing as essential carbohydrates. There are many T1 diabetcs successful;y practising extremely low-carb diets. For the 'bible' on this, try reading Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

Hey Warwick, I have tried carb free I just can't get the dose right. I always hypo no matter how little insulin I take but will always rise if I take none. But I will try reading the book you recommend. I notice you say many practice low carb diet not no carb diet, therefore there are some carbs. I must give the book a read though would I get it on Amazon?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

It is impossible to practise a no-carb diet simply because almost all food contains some amount of carb. :-) Low-carb diets tend to have 50-80 grams of carbohydrate in the per day. This amount tends to allow for very stable blood sugars. There is a Facebook group called 'Type 1 Grit', for Type 1 Diabetics who follow the principles outlined in the book. Most of those who belong to the group and are practising low carb diets are enjoying HbA1cs of between 4.5 - 6 with few hypoglycaemic episodes. It is not for everyone, but it works well for some of us. It is well worth reading the book for yourself and deciding whether it is for you or not. I was fairly aghast when I first heard about it, but I came around to the idea and it certainly beats the BGL roller coaster that I experience on a high carb diet. I still use the DAFNE principles too because it is essential to have basal insulin at correct levels for anything to work.

The book is available for Kindle on Amazon.

neady23
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
4 posts

Thanks for the advice guys I'll check the book so, seeing as you are doing so well on it. I won't tell you what my last hbA1c was Crying or Very sad

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Warwick, sorry you cannot say that is not true and quote a book. We are ALL different and whilst it may not be true for you it may be true for some others. We can debate the breakdown of protein into sugars forever but that won't make it any more applicable to you or me. Personally I don't agree with low carb diets, but if people wish to practice them then its their prerogative to be misguided Wink

Davidpratt 1 post

I want to try a low carb diet as i find it hard to controll my bloods. I have read some of the remarks and i feel i would have better control . I am going to read the book

Tommyboy DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts

Hi just joined today after my course I also found out carb free means taking qa as my by went from 7 to 15 eat a lot of protein so not carb free will need to monitor my next carb free meal to see what effect different foods make to by levels

Tommyboy DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts

Hi just joined today after my course I also found out carb free means taking qa as my by went from 7 to 15 eat a lot of protein so not carb free will need to monitor my next carb free meal to see what effect different foods make to by levels

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I find that I need to bolus for protein too when I have a low-carb meal. For me, my ratio is to treat the amount of protein the same as I would for carbs, so for 50g of protein, I'd take the same QA as for 50g of carbs. I was a bit surprised by that as I thought I would need less for protein. Your mileage may vary :-)