porridge

9 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Diane Macfaden DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
1 post

When I use the info in my Dafne Carb book to work out 3 carbohydrate portions of porridge -i.e. 50g of dry porridge oats and make it into porridge using half milk and water, I always end up with a really high blood sugar result by lunch time as if there is much more than 3 CP's in this amount of porridge.
has anyone else found this? Or does the 50g relate to 50g of cooked porridge.
I would be grateful for some clarification on the true carbohydrate content of porridge oats.

Simon Quinnell DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
16 posts

Hi Diane.

I've had porridge for breakfast for the past 20 years and never get bored of it! I make mine this way:- 1 cup of porridge , 200ml of soya milk, 150ml of water, and 15g of raisins. I count that as 6 CPs in total and I've haven't had any problems with high BG before lunch.

I would say that the 3 CP value is correct.

Some questions to ask yourself:-

Are you having hypos after breakfast? Is your QA/CP ratio correct at breakfast? Are you getting a "bounce-back" effect from night-time hypos? Are you active in the morning? Is your BG OK before breakfast?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I would suggest its more likely your breakfast ratio, remember that you are more likely to have higher BG's ( and possibly a higher ratio) in the mornings because of the hormones our bodies release to wake us up. Most people tend to need more insulin in the morning, but the key to all of this is 'most' we are all different and even though the CP value is correct it doesn't necessarily mean that your insulin requirements for that amount of CP's are 'standard'. basically the only solution is trial and error. I think its very unlikely you are hypoing, so would suggest upping your insulin a bit and seeing what effect it has. Again remember the key to these things is a step wise, change one thing approach.

Mike Dagley DAFNE Graduate
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (Wythenshawe)
12 posts

Hi Everyone,
I eat porridge a lot too and agree that the 3 CP thing is about right. I am still in honeymoon (11 months since diagnosed) and I find that porridge is barely enough for me in the mornings. If I exercise at all after breakfast (eg cycle to work or walk the dog) then I can approach a hypo rather easily. Mornings are my challenge and I guess that porridge is fine but rather slower an energy release than I had imagined. Even before I was diabetic I used to feel really hungry within a hour of eating porridge. It never seemed to be sustaining though I know how great oats are. All of this isn't that relevant perhaps but don't be put off good ol' porridge it is a wonderful food.
Mike the Newbie

John Roscoe DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
14 posts

Hi Diane,
I have porridge most morning and I count 3.5 CP's for 30g of oats and 350 mls semi skimmed milk. The oats I use are 2.75 CP's per 45g so the amount of oats I use is equivalent to 1.8 CP's and the 350 mls of milk 1.75 CP's. This works well for me. It may be worth checking the carbohydrate value on the pack of oats you are using. I think the DAFNE CP value may be wrong.
Good luck.
John

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

John,
I don't think the DAFNE CP value is wrong, its a guideline not a rule set in stone. As I said before different people have different insulin needs for the same food. In addition its a generic value for porridge and different brands all have different ingredients ( apart from the obvious !). So the thing to remember when looking at the CP booklet or this site is its a guide and yuor requirements may vary.

oilly DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
2 posts

I have porridge oats every morning for breakfast, my counting and dose works well for me, 40 grams of dried oats is 3 CPs, throw in a handful of raisins (25g to be precise) and that's another 1.5 CPs, add half an apple and half a nectarine another 1 CP, a dollop of natural yogurt another 1/2 CP, a teaspoon honey, 1/2 Cp and your milk another 1/2 CP, total value='s 7CPS and yummy

Pluggitin DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Hello everyone. I believe porridge is a good start to the day. However it is a slow release and in order to balance this I add some currants to the mix. If you want to be anal count about 12 in the total mix of 40 grams of carbs. This however is for my sedentary lifestyle. 30+ years on insulin and qualify for bus pass. Take care everyone.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

as others have said, if your happy with your weighing of the oats, and the negligible milk count, and you consistantly get above target readings at lunch, the step wise approach would indicate your ratio is not enough, so crank it up and see how it goes.......... Smile