The media getting it wrong

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

IanS DAFNE Graduate
South of Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
5 posts

What do you think of these reports?

Here is an extract from ITV News:
"Every morning Rebecca Farrar's mother tests her blood sugar because Rebecca suffers from an aggressive type of Diabetes."
"Rebecca had a virus that destroyed her pancreas, which normally produces insulin, so her blood sugar can drop very quickly and she can't tell when it is happening."

Here is an extract from The Telegraph:
"Rebecca Farrar suffers from an aggressive type of Diabetes. She had a virus that destroyed her pancreas, so her blood sugar levels can drop very quickly and she can't tell when it's happening."

A quick Google search shows that most reports are along these lines, so I guess there was just one report and the rest have been copied.

I think it is great that Rebecca has a dog that can detect hypos, in fact, can I have one please? ;o)

My issue is with the media getting it wrong yet again. Aggressive type of Diabetes? I guess they mean Type 1 with no early hypo warning symptoms. I must have an aggressive type of Diabetes occasionally after I've had a few hypos and have loss of symptoms, I'm glad it clears up though.

Saying the blood sugar drops because the pancreas has been destroyed is just ignorant and lazy reporting.

I'm just thankful that she's not overweight as I'm sure they'd have blamed it on that.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

"A virus that destroyed her pancreas"? Halarious! XD The pancreas does more than just produce insulin - I mean it's where the prompt comes from that triggers our glucose storage release - so GEE WHIZ I wonder how she's getting on without all it's functions!

I am surprised they can get away with such misleading information but oh well, the media's not been known to be very reliable any way...!

I look forward to the day when Type 1 and Type 2 are recognised properly - it's why I hate admitting to people that I have my type because I often get the "diet only" lecture in response. Ignorance. *shakes her head and sighs*

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

In fact if the pancreas was destroyed control of blood sugars would be much easier as mentioned there would be no alpha cell (glucagon) production either as well as the several other secretions that come from the pancreas.......

As far as viruses go, there has been some connection made where they suggest that the beta cells share some genetic code to an alleged virus that exists in us all at some point causing our body to attack, but to actually make reference to a virus directly causing the condition is a bit ignorant......

I don't think the media will ever get better until the day were diabetes is a condition we all may suffer one day....