16 posts

Hi All.

What do you think of this?

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-uncover-potential-diabetes.html

Simon.

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I'm more than a little sceptical about this, Simon. What we need is a response from one of our HCPs.

Alan

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I don't know first we get locked out of the loft due to homes being well insulated, then some quack starts removing our insulin capability, equal rights for us mice, and free cheese on the NHS ! thats what I say.
Sorry even if this article made sense, which I don't beleive it does, testing it on mice and testing it on humans is a huge difference. Any effective output from something like this would take at least 10 years minimum. Sorry but I don't believe there is a 'cure', maybe a prevention one day but thats still a long way off. Most of the source article quotes talks in maybes and perhaps' , they have no real proof of their theories as yet let alone any evidence of a cure. There are always articles like this around, when someone actually launches a mythical cure in the real world and its given to real Diabetics them I will sit up and take notice.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

test

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I join the skeptics.... though if this sort of thing was going to work, I find it quite alarming. I mean, we're talking about cutting off the glucose release that can potentially save you from a very bad hypo.... unless they plan on relying on the gluco jab in extreme cases?

Madness.

Trudi DAFNE Graduate
Ballarat Community Health Centre, Victoria
8 posts

35 years ago I was told the cure would be 10 years away - my niece was diagnosed last year and she was told 10 years too - at some point that information is going to be correct!!
I'm not getting super excited by this but I've got to say, given the education I received during the DAFNE course, this does make sense to me. And it's kind of nice to have someone looking at the 'cure' in a different way.
Trudi