Conflicting Advice

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jen1984 2 posts

I recently moved to Scotland and have been on the DAFNE course. Had a few problems with hypos but when I spoke to my new nurse they contradicted some of DAFNE saying 4 is the floor for hypo not 3.5 and only correct back to 8, instead of 4.5 to 7.5! I am confused what to do, my hbalc before dafne was 14 and got down to 10 in two months. Also concerned with weight as got 2.5 stone to loose but they keep telling me not to be hard on myself and things take time but after being in hospital 6 times last year with DKA I am anxious.

Can anyone help/ any weight loss tips?!

Jen

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Hi Jen,
The '4 is the floor' is quite out-dated now.
In DAFNE we recommend you should keep your BG above 4.5mmol/l at any time of the day; remember your DAFNE pre-meal target BG:
Breakfast: 5.5 - 7.5mmol/l
Lunch/Tea: 4.5 - 7.5mmol/l
Bed: 6.5 - 8.0mmol/l
In terms of hypos, we still define a hypo as a BG below 3.5mmol/l and you should always treat these immediately with your 1.5 - 2 CPs of rapid acting carbohydrate.
If you have a BG between 3.5 and 4.5mmol/l (so not hypo but below target) you should have carbohydrate to get your BG back into a safe target range: you may only need 1 CP to raise your BG by 2-3mmol/l.
If you do have difficulties recognising your hypos, we recommend you aim to keep your pre-meal BG towards the upper end of the DAFNE target range, e.g. 6.0 - 8.0mmol/l for a couple of months, so during this time be very cautious with corrective QA doses and try to avoid going hypo at all costs.
I hope this clarifies and helps you.
Good luck,
Carolin