Am new...And 'RECOVERY'

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

emmahope DAFNE Graduate
St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
17 posts

I know many of us with this disease have had periods of struggling to accept this condition. I wonder whether there are others who have dealt with related (for me) issues also: Have others grown up with diabetes which was abused by carers or have needed to go through a recovery,perhaps, with eating disorder like me- or have recovered from using diabetes as self harm? I"m now in recovery but the history has left me with complications.I do at times struggle with acceptance with what this disease has brought and does bring but it has also been a journey of spiritual and emotional/mental growth and lessons.

hld1904 DAFNE Graduate
South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
5 posts

I know what you mean. I have been type 1 since age of 3 and have had a lot to deal with too. I suffered domestic violence form my father and tried to stay away from him by putting myself in hospital using my insulin to do so. I was also Bulimic. I was told i was Brittle Diabetic. That has followed all my life and i eneded up in violent relationships too. I am 43 this year and have finally found a decent man and am only now able to talk about using my diabetes to 'protect' myself. I can finally admit i deliberately overdosed with insulin or other times stopped taking it completely. I have had laser eye treatment, Ulcers and loss of feeling in my feet. My kidneys are beginning to show signs too. I know i am lucky compared to what i could be suffering from by now but there is nothing i can do to change that now. I have graduated from DAFNE and have got my HbA1c into single figures for the first time in 25 years.
It has taken me 40 years to finally settle and take control and i will never go back to those ways.
Life is what you make it and i intend to live mine to the full from now on!

emmahope DAFNE Graduate
St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
17 posts

congratualations hiv1904! you've come a long way. i really try now but still bg is all over the place so hoping DAFNE makes a good difference and they mentioned a pump as a possibility once ive done DAFNE.Thanks, sharing your story and your hope,xemmanh