Not impressed :-S

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

Hi there. Been out of action due to my fathers health etc.. but HBA1C lower at 8.9 from 11.0 :-)

I am not coping with the D or the DAFNE at the moment, really trying.. was prescribed metformin for insulin resistance but sue to severe stomach probs (suspected metformin issues as had sim. symptoms before) now restarted - but in process BS higher than 10mmols most of the time...and weight gain due to increase in insulin..

Left emails and messages with team - but no avail... thought was to get support with this... :-(

LizB DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
23 posts

Hi Jo, sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment and feel you're team aren't supporting you. I think we've all had times like that and it is horrible when you're in the middle of it. By way of distant support I can assure you that we all go through it from time to time. I know it sounds obvious but I've found recently that going back to the DAFNE handbook and doing the things that I didn't really want to fit in (for me that was the 3a.m. check of BG to see what was happening overnight) and keep plugging away at it and sticking to the guidelines as much as possible, does slowly start to show results and things do move in the right direction. And of course the biggest thing is not to beat yourself up when it doesn't do exactly what you hoped straight away.

Going by your HABA1C it looks like you've got something to celebrate at the moment so trust yourself and keep plugging away.

all the best
Liz

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Whoever prescribed the metformin to you again, I would speak to them straight away, Jo. Were they not aware of the serious side effects from your previous experience?

Your sugar levels are high yet you're weight gaining? You must be very unbalanced.... were you possibly a Type 2 before?

Sorry to hear your team have not got back to you quickly. It may be a good idea to book an appointment or give them a call if you don't hear from them within a reasonable time (unfortunately it is a very busy time of year for hospitals so they may take some time... I'd give it a week, unless you feel you cannot cope).

Best wishes with getting well Jo.

Edit: Great advice LizB... definitely keep checking back at your guidebook!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree you your prescriptionof metformin should be reviewed...

Its actually well known that it gives you a dodgy stomach, by the professionals anyway...

There could be many reasons for your weight gain and high blood sugar, I suspect stress from the health of your father...

Keep trying to get a hold of your team and try and take some time out for yourself........any advice or support we can offer is available if you need it.....