glargine

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

saxman DAFNE Graduate
The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
28 posts

im taking lantus as my bi,a pattern has emerged over the last week to suggest it stops working after ten hours has anyone else noticed the same, im thinking of changing to levamir to possibly split the dose? any thoughts??

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Split the Lantus - that what I do, I was on 28 at 2100hrs daily, I noticed it wasn't lasting the full 24hrs and so changed to 14 at 0900 and 14 at 2100, and this works for me.

If you get on with the Lantus try splitting first, if you want to go to the Levamir, tell your team the lantus isn't working and convince them to change you over.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I also was having probs with Lantus lasting and after much trial (and error) and support from the Endocrinologist now have Lantus in split doses. 6:00am 55% and 6:00pm 45%. When we first split the dose I was on about 80% at 6:00am and the rest before going to bed but the current regime works well especially overnight (no supper though!). I think what you really have to do is watch what insulin is working when. Periods with no carbs makes this assessment easier (although I believe you have to watch the very low GI carbs as they can have a crucial and disproportionate effect). Five hours after my evening meal there is no more QA and having had no more food the Lantus just keeps doing its thing. However if I do have something to eat (and I sometimes do) I have to cover it ...even 1CP. I watch the info people post re doses etc and am constantly amazed at the variation. It really is so individual! Good luck.

saxman DAFNE Graduate
28 posts

thanks for all the feedback, will post my results soon.

saxman DAFNE Graduate
28 posts

i split my lantus to 20 before bed and 10 twelve hrs later and so far i dont have a dramatic bg rise after ten hrs,am hoping its as simple as this

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Sounds likely - I've had the same problem when I was still on Lantus... I found my 10pm jab was running out around 2pm in the afternoon the next day so the highs would appear! I got changed over to Levemir because it is "meant" to be a split dose after a while of still having problems with lantus... not been on Levemir long so I'm still working out my doses even now.

If the highs seem to be now gone, good - and best wishes with resolving all the issues if any more pop up! Smile