NEED HELP

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Got the flu bad, went from not eating and having lots of ketones with avergare BGS, now I have no ketones, I am eating and my BGS are sky high........

What have others done, do you increase your BI by a percentage or do you bump up the ratios.............Im lost and ill............

Just a note: the sick day rules work great if your not eating....

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Firstly, well done for getting ketones under control! Now if you are mainly suffering from highs and are having to correct a lot even without food - if it was me, I would consider putting my BI up - ESPECIALLY if the illness is for more than one day (as it suggests in DAFNE guidebook). Get well soon...

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Sorry - just to add - Im not sure what percentage would be best to put BI up by but I would look at 2 units of BI if I was correcting with 2 or more units of QA regularly.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Thanks for the advice, I will take it on board this evening.......Cant wait to the get the flu jab every year, what was I thinking........

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
45 posts

I'd increase my ratio as I'd be worried about going hypo overnight if my BI was increased - (something that probably wouldn't worry you with your DP). When Amy was ill we increased her ratio and background but that was over a long period of time, hopefully you will be better in days rather than weeks.

Hope you feel better very soon.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Lots of water, lots of tests and lots of sleep. Get well soon.

When you are well discuss with your diabetes consultant possible variation to the Dafne rules. I am on high doses of insulin and have discussed extra "correction" injections mid meals (depending on Bgs) and while this does lead to "insulin stacking" the additional doses are only small and with everything else going on when you are sick, with care/vigilance it can smooth out the BGs. My advice here is to discuss it first...do not try this at home!
Helen

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

thanks for all the advice guys n gals.......