Help!

8 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

chixystix
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
10 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hello! I've been trying to be really good and write down all my blood tests the last two weeks so i can try and get my dafne control back but i don't know where to start. i'm yoyo-ing up and down really badly. I don't know if i should put my background up because i'm having hypos, but my pre-meals are all 8-13. Can anyone help? Mia x

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

its hard to say when you are giving yourself 3 doses of background......im not saying thats wrong but its hard to tell whats working if the insulin isnt been given a chance to work the full 12hours........and I see sometimes is 3 doses, and sometimes its 1.....you really need 3-4 consistent days to spot a pattern...

I think you should up your BI dose but only give yourself 2 doses, 12 hours apart. As your on a 1:1 throughout the day it would be nice to keep that, so its simpe, so adjusting the BI dose to me is the next step.......

Has your diabetic team had an input?

chixystix
10 posts

oh my god you're so right - i hadn't even noticed i was doing it. i'm taking it twice a day but just take it when i go to bed and when i wake up, which can really vary so it's definitely not 12 hours apart. I can't believe I hadn't noticed, i'm just so used to doing it that way. I'm changing as of today to take my BI at a set time so hopefully that will be a good start.

I have a hospital appointment at the end of the month, but it's been over a year since I've had one (the waiting list at my hospital is ridiculous, but it's the only one nearby that does dafne) so i haven't had any help for ages.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I used to take my doses in the morning and beforte bed, but I then forced myself into the habit of taking it at breakfast and dinner so as to give me 12 hour coverage...

What background insulin are you on?

chixystix
10 posts

i'm on lantus.

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Chixystix

The lantus really does need to be given at the same time daily - either once a day, if it is lasting, or, as a lot now do, twice a day - BUT at the same time every day.

I set alarms on my phone for 0900 and 2100 to go off every day - when they go off I take my lantus - there is a bit of lee way ie 30 mins.

I would start with finding a time of day that you can take your lantus - it is better every 12hours and give it a week of recording to see what happens.

You also need to work out what amount of total background insulin you need and whether to split that evenly or have slightly more at one injection, but you need to keep the amount constant. Looking at the levels you vary between 6 units a day and 19 units a day. In general when you have had more BI then the numbers are lower later in the evening and the next day - although this isn't always bourne out.

I would ask your team what they think your total daily BI should be, then start by halving it and taking half every 12hours, and then re visit it after a week or 2.

good luck

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As Simon says..............get your team involved and tell them what you have heard here, they can then give you the one to one advice on what to do with your BI.....

When the BI doses get lost it does take around a week probably to get back on track, with all the testing and so on...

Good Luck and keep us posted.......

chixystix
10 posts

thanks guys, i've set my phone alarm and will keep you posted. x