Fat content

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ffi010 DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

Hi everyone!
I realise this may seem strange but I have noticed a re-occuring pattern. I am finding that even with the correct ratio, if i eat something with a high fat content my BG increases significantly more than normal, making me feel unwell and I don't think that my insulin works properly. I find it the worst with Chinese food and nuts (for A while i thought they were fantastic snack, esp on the un as very little/no CPs! but not so much any more!)
I tried to increase the ratio and even though i felt fine after (other than food coma! ha), but crashed about 7 hours later in bed! i thought about increasing my background but i think that that is a little extreme for some almonds and it is usually too late (to increase dose) if I am having a take away or out to dinner.
Can anyone suggest anything? is there an extra amount if insulin that you would consider injecting for fat content?
I'm really struggling with this and don't really want to give up my sunday take away and snacking nuts!

Thank you!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The fat content within the food means it takes longer for your digestive sytem to actually get access to the glucose.......

This is a common problem and what alot of people do including me is to split the dose, say 50:50 before and after the meal, an hour apart.....you can tweak that ratio, as well as the time to find out what suits you the best for each type of high fat meal.

This enables the insulin to theoritcaly have two peaking times, the second peak can then deal with the delayed peak of glucose from the food

As far as I am aware, nuts are so slowly released that the effect on your blood sugar is negligible......

What type of nuts are you eating?

Are you having them with anything else?

I wouldnt normally take for salted nuts, any type.....but it also depends on the quantity as well, but as you say your snacking, so it cant be that much.....