Wish i'd had the pump years ago

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

Hi Everyone .

I've been diabetic for 30 years now , i was 10 when i was diagonised .My diabetes has always been described as Brittle Daibetes because no matter what i did , ie insulin dose, food ,exercise it was always very erratic and never the same 2 days running because of this the pump was suggested a few years ago , but i was always thinking that it was not for me i did not want to be connected to something that reminded me 24/7 that i was diabetic , at least with an injection i took it and put it away until the next injection . Well ........... just lately i has started to feel quite rough a lot of the time , some complications had started to set in and to be honest i was actualy starting to feel quite scared , i done a DAFNE course in june where it was identified a had a marked Dawn Phenomenon and hypo unawareness which ive suffered with badly for sometime and again a pump was suggested , so this time i thought why not ? Ive had my pump for 10 days and already the difference in my diabetes is really noticeable , my diabetic nurse is so pleased with and for me . So if theres anyone out there considering a pump why not give a go i recommend it and if at the end of the day youre not personally happy with it , you are under no obligation to stick with it

Thanks for listening Jenny

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would love to try it out, I wake on 15-20 every morning, after trying everything to get it down......

What is the procedure to get one?

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

When i was looking into having a pump i was told that you needed to have completed a dafne course ( which everyone on here obviously has ) and that then my diabetic nurse had to apply for funding to the PCT (primary care trust ), hope this helps ~ Jenny