Libre sensors - problems

10 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

Hi All, it seems as if a number of people are having problems using the Libre sensors at the moment. We have had a few emails sent via the admin email box which is fine except nobody else can see your question or the answers.

I'm sorry for those who are having problems using this device, would you be willing to share your stories so others can learn from your experiences? Perhaps somebody has the answers?

I look forward to seeing new posts about this soon. Have a great day all.

flash DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
2 posts

Hi everyone. My first time on this forum. I have been using Freestyle Libre system for at least a couple of years since we were first able to justify getting them on prescription. Unfortunately I often have sensors fail when I am changing them. When the needle is punched into my arm it bends through a right angle. I have pictures but can't see here how to post them here sadly. Unfortunately you don't know they are bent until an hour later which is the time period you have to wait before the reader will read the new sensor. So, it is a real pain. I have even had one sensor fall to bits internally (unbeknown to me) and I ended up punching nothing into my arm, again only discovered an hour later. This week I experienced something new. The sensor did work for a couple of days and then failed but I don't know why.
I have always complained to the manufacturer and they will happily replace them but you never get any feedback on how big this problem is and what we can do about it. It's just a call centre at the end of the day. So, as long as I have got sufficient stock I don't bother complaining now. My concern was whether I am doing something wrong but I am very careful wwith site selection and the process of changing sensors in line with instructions. My friend who has type 1 and is a libree user has had no problems until a week ago when he had a failure.

Any of you out there have this problem. Any suggestions, help etc????

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Thanks for your query @flash; sorry to hear you have been having so many problems with the Libre. I can't help myself I'm afraid as like @MarkE, I use the Dexcom G6 Sensor.
I did see, though that there are several other people on other posts having Libre issues, namely @AnnetteBell @Warwick @Lucy1gus2, @JohnH, @RachelClement, @novorapidboi26. I'm hoping that you'll hear something from some of these good folk.

flash DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
2 posts

It seems nothing much happening here so I decided to check out other diabetes forums. I joined the Diabetes U K forum and started this same discussion there. It is in the section to do with ‘Pumping and Technology, entitled ‘Problems with Libre 2 sensors. Within a couple of days I had some very interesting and far ranging (politically) comments. They have made me realise I am not alone regarding faulty sensors which has made me feel a lot better. Also I now understand the mechanism a lot better. Plus I got one or two useful tips. So, if you want to shed a bit more light on this problem, check out the Diabetes U K website and join the forum. I may be taking this problem a bit further (via what they call the yellow card process; something I knew nothing about) to ensure NHS get the feedback. The only people getting this information, it seems from the discussions, is Abbott, the manufacturer. They are happy to replace sensors FOC but the question is are the NHS aware of all these faults given the size and cost of the purchasing contract with Abbott. Anyway thank you to those people responding to my post.

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Hi @flash, thanks for your response. You're right in that this isn't necessarily the most active of forums; there are so many other forums related to Type 1 Diabetes, including the Diabetes UK one; there is almost too many on the market to review and post on. I am not using the Libre myself, but I am conscious that a lot of people are having problems with them, hence my original post.
Perhaps it is time to start raising your concerns about the reliability of the Libre to your Health Authority or consultant / and or DSN.I think the more people who are having issues show their discontent, the easier it will be for them to action the responses. It is a hard one, really as I have had issues with the Dexcom Sensors often failing, I speak to Dexcom about it and yes I get replacement sensors, but I didn't contact my DSN as the issue is fixed. Of course, what I should have done in retrospect was to let them know so they could keep track.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, Sorry I am as guilty as everyone else of not posting enough on the forums. You should not have to report it to the NHS as reporting it to Abbott should be enough. They have a legal responsibility to investigate all issues reported by customers/patients and this will be audited periodically by the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). If you keep having issues with sensor 'implanting' then Abbott should investigate this and try to advise you on how to avoid this. If they don't I would encourage you to take to something like Twitter with those on the DUK forums as companies like this REALLY don't like bad publicity. They make all their profits from repeat users , so if they user base is not happy then its not good for them. As Sally says we are Dexcom users and I get my Dexcom via NHS funding. I prefer the Dexcom to the Libre but its all personal preference. I do know that Dexcom take issues seriously. The one time I have an issue with the sensor separating from the adhesive plaster that holds it in place, the got me to send pictures and return the sensor so they could investigate it fully.

John H DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Sally Mac said:
Thanks for your query @flash; sorry to hear you have been having so many problems with the Libre. I can't help myself I'm afraid as like @MarkE, I use the Dexcom G6 Sensor.
I did see, though that there are several other people on other posts having Libre issues, namely @AnnetteBell @Warwick @Lucy1gus2, @JohnH, @RachelClement, @novorapidboi26. I'm hoping that you'll hear something from some of these good folk.

Hi, Just to add that I have not had any negative issues using the system, but simply enquiring. I now have the Libre system working for me with good results. What I may be able to help with would be to suggest that the fitting of a new sensor may be improved by using a different site to fit the new sensor, and to also advise to get help fitting it. My Son fitted my last one, he did apply more pressure than I woud have done personally, but as usual it went straight in, and worked great ! Maybe a consideration for the original poster to have in their journey with the system. I have been fortunate to be funded for NHS Prescriptions for the Dexcom system, so will be in a position to give a user based comparison of both systems. I hope my suggestion may go some way to assist the OP.

Reg DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
5 posts

Sally Mac said:

Hi Sally, I understand that Dexcom has to be changed every 10 days rather than the 14 with Libre but has it been reliable? Also, are you using an iPhone and if so have you updated the software to iOS17?

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Reg said:

Sally Mac said:

Hi Sally, I understand that Dexcom has to be changed every 10 days rather than the 14 with Libre but has it been reliable? Also, are you using an iPhone and if so have you updated the software to iOS17?

Hi @Reg, yes the Dexcom G6 does need changing every 10 days. The Dexcom G6 from my experience is very reliable as Im using an HCL system. No iPhones in our house thankfully, Android through and through. Nothing in the world would make me want to use an iPhone!

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I'm having almost no trouble with the Libre 2 these days. I did accidentally rip one off while in bed the other night which was a bit annoying, but other than that, I have found them to be reliable and staying on my body for the full 14-day period.

One modification I have made is rather than putting them on the back of my triceps, I place it further inside, so that it is more where the bicep and triceps meet on the inner arm. It gets knocked a lot less easily that way and is much more likely to stay attached to my body. The readings still seem to be accurate when it is there.