Insurance for pump

10 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
25 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm lucky enough to have just been given a pump and was advised by HCPs to get it included on my house insurance due to the cost of replacement . I phoned my insurance company and they said it will be an extra £70. That sounds very expensive as the whole policy only cost $105!

Has anyone else had any problems with this or can recomend a good insurer that covers pumps for less?

Thanks,

Lee

JackieB DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
3 posts

Hi,

Yes, I have a pump and put it on my house insurance. Cost about E28 extra. You may need to explain more about what you are insuring - the robustness of the device, its connected to you 24 hours a day..... The first time I got my pump rep to talk to the company as she even thought it shouldn't incurr an additional cost.

Jackie

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

Lee

Im glad ive seen this post i got the pump just over a week ago , and had forgotten all about ringing the inusrance !!!!! I too was told to add to house insurance , i will let you know later what they say

Jenny

34 posts

Hi , bit annoyed at moment , the insurance i have at mo covers me for a certain ammount , just got off phone to insurance and because its for an amount you cant specify what its for , so they wouldnt know until i put in a claim if i was insured for the pump !!!!! I tried to explain that i want to find out before anything should happen to it and they said they couldnt say !!! OMG so annoyed i have houyse insurance for 18 odd years and never made a claim yet they cant make me any guarantees ......... speachless does anyone know any insurance companies that insure single personal items ? ( i dont know if this exsists ) thanks Jenny

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
25 posts

Hi Jenny. I searched the internet to try to find specific pump insurance but couldn't find anyone that did it. After a few discussions with my insurer they decided to waver the admin fee but i still had to pay £50 to insure my pump. I tried to explain that its actually physically attached to me 24 hours a day and not the kind of thing a thief would be interested in taking but it still cost more than i would have imagined

Thats ridiculous that your company are being so unhelpful. Threatening to leave them for another company usually makes them treat you a bit nicer Smile

You can get specific life and travel insurance for diabetics so there should be a company somewhere that can help cover just a pump

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Have you tried contacting the Diabetes UK Careline (0845 120 2960) - it might be worth getting them involved in this.

34 posts

Thanks Lee

Alan i contacted Diabetes uk this morning and they recommended another website for pump users .

Rashid DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
3 posts

Ive hac my pump for a while but I still haven't found a company that will cover it, the maximum they say they that can give on a single item is £3000 but I've been told my pump is worth considerably more! Any help?

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
25 posts

Hi Rashid,

What sort of pump do you have? I have accu-chek combo and was told it was worth £2500 but I insured it for £3000 anyway

Rashid DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
3 posts

Hi Kid127
I also have a combo (that's the one with the Bluetooth remote) but I was told it was worth £5000 so haven't insured it as yet, as no one would cover it.