Flash Monitoring

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

For those of you in England, this is interesting news:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/31/people-with-type-1-diabetes-in-england-to-be-given-skin-sensor-to-monitor-blood-sugar

Hope that New Zealand follows this lead :-)

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi,
Not wishing to disappoint you but its not strictly true. The device they show is a FreeStyle Libre and in theory this has been available to UK Diabetics for a few years on our Health Service. However its roll-out has been patchy at best. We have a saying in the UK called 'the post-code lottery' (post-codes identify your address ) and it really applies to this. The funding for it comes from the local health care bodies and some are a lot more willing than others to let people have them.

I think they would be a great benefit to many people and I am lucky enough to have my Dexcom G6 CGM funded by my hospital but thats only because I am under a London hopsital for my pump and when I told them I was self-funding the CGM they decided to pay for it. If I had tried the same thing where I actually live , more in the countryside, I would have had zero chance of getting it funded.

Still hopefully all these devices will get cheaper, more will come onto the market to increase the competion meaning a lot more people will be able to get them. They don't replace finger pricking but thats a whole other discussion :-)

Lisapyro DAFNE Graduate
The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

I got mine just over a month ago after years of asking when I told them I didn't care about what happened with my Diabetes two weeks later I was on the online course and now have my monitor. ( I have had three really bad years and so the Diabetes kind of took the back seat, hopefully though the sensor is helping me get back on track )

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

HI @lisapryro - how is it going with your new sensor? Do you feel more of an expert now? I do hope that wearing a sensor made a difference for you.