help with CP-QAs

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

grandma carol DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
61 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I hope i am getting this right can anybody help please yesterday i put up CP-QAs and then had a hypo at 3.30 so i have put it down today to 2.5 -1 hope that will help .

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

Carol, Unsure if anybody can say that they know the best thing to do, as everybody reacts differently to changing ratios, etc. I would suggest that you change the ratio by a smaller margin.
On the initial course I went on, we were advised to amend a ratio by 0.5 rather than 1.0, and that it would be best to adjust one ratio at a time, rather than changing two or more. From the readings above it looked that your first injection ratio was spot on as the lunch time BGs appear to be in range.
Your first BG reading in the morning looks too high, and could be a result of either needing a higher BI or larger PM ratio. May be a need to do a test at 03:00 Hours to see if it is high or you are suffering a Hypo.

Hope this helps.

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Also with these figures why are you changing your lunch ratio - 2:1 worked perfectly on Monday but not on Tuesday - no pattern there, could your CP's have been out. If you do change its .5 at a time. If it was me I would not change 2 meal ratios at the same time try to get 1 right first then sort the other.

61 posts

Thank you both for you reply. Idid a test at 3.00 on 29th and it was 6.3 Ihave changed my ratio to 2.5-1 today and it has gone up agen at lunch time so went back to 3-1 at dinner time, will see what happens thank you.

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Have you done the DAFNE Course ? It does not say graduate under your name. You should not change your ratios without a pattern, that's not one bad reading. if you have not please let us know , if you have reread the section on adjusting

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Karl, I beleive she is a DAFNE Graduate, but has yet to register as such. Some DAFNE centres are not very good at giving out the codes needed to sign-up as a graduate.
Grandma Carol, if you contact your DAFNE Educator they should be able to give you a code so we can make your account a graduate account, that will avoid the confusion with other users and will give you access to the online course handbook. As Karl points out I think you are a bit quick to change your ratio, your BG's for monday look fine on a 2:1 ratio and one day doesn't really make a pattern to work from. On the tuesday you are a bit high still at 16:30 and so you might find the insulin did not have the effect it normally does. Many people find it harder to get their BG back down below 12 with the 'standard' 1 unit = 3 BG, it can be you need more when your BG's are higher. Unfortunatley everyone is different so there is no 'standard' answer. You need to take readings over several days before changing your ratios to make sure it is your ratio at fault and not a blip in your BG's ( which we can all get from time to time).

61 posts

Thank you Marke and Karl yes i am a DAFNE Graduate i did the caurse on 13th-17th september and Ido not have a coad yet. Ido not have to go back untill 3rd November. They sain they would send it to me but nothing yet. Iwill give them a ring next week. Thank you both for your advice and i will see how it goes. i have put it back to what it was thank you.