not good !! help

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

kelly 2 posts

hi all, ive been so silly not looking after myself!! im now trying 2 get back on track with dafne but for got so much ive been very ill with major kindy infections, pins and neddles, and now got very wied feeling in my thigh? like is burning but numb im going 2 c my nurse this friday 2 spil the beans and tell her everything i need some massive help ive used my diebetes as a way of losing lots of weight and now im slim im not feeling good !! people are now saying how skiny and ill i look , im worried im only 32 and have 2 young children! and i need to get back to a heathy young fit mum.

Heather B DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
20 posts

Hi Kelly, I think that is great that you are going to 'spill the beans' to your nurse tomorrow. The fact that you are doing that, listening to people when they tell you that you look thin and ill, and that you are now not going to use your diabetes for weight loss again are all really positive and show that you are now helping yourself and getting on track to be healthy again. Once you are back to taking care of yourself and getting good blood sugar readings your body can start to try to repair itself and stop the progression of any damage that has already been done, your nurse will be able to advise you on this. Well done for coming to your senses and making the positive steps towards getting healthy, let us know how you get on.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Go Heather,

When I read Kelly's post I was torn between what to say but you said it very well.

The good thing is that you (Kelly) will feel (and look) better and the kids will have a happy, healthier Mum. I trust you get a lot of support at the hospital and can get back to some routine that helps you stay on the straight and narrow. I used to think my relationship with the diabetes was a war but I've come to realize that you can live with a truce. We all adjust differently and some have an easier time coming to terms with It than others. My thoughts are with you. Best wishes, Helen

claireadams 12 posts

Hi Kelly,
I got type 1 diabetes 4 years ago during pregnancy and when i gave birth i lost so much weight through out of control diabetes that everyone was saying how skinny and ill i looked (i loved it!- ate what i liked and never gained a pound)... then over the years it actually made me ill.. the symptoms of high bg just werent worth it anymore and after 2 bouts in hospital (one in intensive care) and a young son to look after i just had to sort it out.... unfortunately with the control came weight gain, but i am much healthier and can live a normal life. I get help now with having an eating disorder, and to be honest i still struggle with the amount of weight i have gained, but it is worth it. I think with a balanced diet and exercise you can keep your weight in check without using your insulin. I really think you should look into getting help with having an eating disorder (you may not think you have but anyone who uses insulin to loose weight is risking their life). Please take it from someone who knows! I really hope you get healthy again and get back on track with dafne for the sake of your children... Good luck, Claire
ps i had cognitive behavioural therapy, it really helped me

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Its good you have finally realised that you cant go on the way you have been............sometimes for most people that is all they need to change the way they control diabetes.......the time this takes varies for each person........

I would say 8 out of 12 years being diabetic were spent not really knowing how to manage it.......

Good luck at the doctors...

kelly 2 posts

hi guys x thankyou all so much im on track now after getting my blood test results hba1c was 17 but no other damage done so thats made me feel better my leg is feeling better the numb feeling has gone and i feel happy now just having my humalog 3 times a day and my lantus at night! getting my head around that for now and in a few weeks im gonna start dafne again but i will be e mailing u all for help as i have forgot so much . .
thankyou all again kelly xx

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I am more than happy to help you with the basics............remember as a graduate you can view and download the handbook if you didnt get one home or have misplaced it...

Also a function I make full use of is the blood glucose diary.....if you transfer your readings, with carb intake, insulin, corrections into that you can actually post it on the forum for all to see and comment...

Look forward to hearing from you...