Need help and advice

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Derek Brown DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
32 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi folks,

Fell off the way a lot recently due to personal circumstances and an attitude that made me hate my diabetes. Long story short is my recent Hba1c went down by 0.7% from 9.6 to 8.9. Not great by any means but it's the first decrease in over 18 months and want to make that even better.

I still did my BM's along the way but failed in bothering to write them all down which shows in my online diary entries I'm not proud to say. I do now have a Onetouch Ultrasmart after 3 months waiting and it's great! It's neat being able to have CP's, insulin dose, readings and even exercise, health checks, Hba1c etc in one place.

Anyway, I'm failing to see where I need to start adjusting my regime and am rusty on my Dafne basics. Can anyone give suggestions on where to go from here after looking at the results.

If anyone wants to see the whole diary, just ask and I'll be happy to share.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey there................

Its really hard to make out whats accurately going on, especially in the mornings as you are giving yourself insulin, but theres no food written down.........so determining whats carbs and whats correction is hard......

At first glance you seem to start off high and continue to be high throughout the morning and afternoon, with a few exceptions..........this could be your BI dose, as its one dose I can assume lantus, this might be running out towards lunchtime etc.......... a split dose of levemir insulin might rectify that.........

dawn phenomonon might also be taking place..........

Initially I would start by increasing your 18 units of BI to maybe 20 and observing the morning result, without having anything to eat before bed, this means its only the BI working.......in theory if your the same as you went to bed, the dose is right, although it might not be lasting the full day......

try that and come back with a few days results......

Oh and I am a Monklands man myself, well done the course there anyway.......how do you feel the post dafne support is there?

Derek Brown DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
32 posts

Hi Novarapidboi.

Thanks for the reply. I find the Dafne team at Monklands 1st rate, many times I would call them for advice and if I couldn't speak to someone I would always be called back as soon as possible. I've also been sharing my online diary with a few of their HCP on here and getting advice on not so urgent matter

My BI insulin is Lantus and Novorapid for QA.

My morning readings are all corrections which I mark with "0+" and the amount of units I take. I'm basing my corrections on the 3:1 ratio that 1u will decrease my BG by 1 etc, but it could be read as guesswork lol I don't mark it as a correction because comparing morning readings as Breakfast gives an indication on the graph, I find the visual indicators, colour schemes etc a big help.

As for my results, I had thought that I need to test and compare night time with morning readings but the big problem is that I just don't want to eat during the day, I'm hungry at night which totally throws the readings out. I'll bear it and starting tomorrow night and will have nothing after my evening meal so it's only BI working and see how it looks maybe till Monday and take it from there.

Cheers.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Im sure I didnt see any 0s, sorry mate..............

Thats clears alot up mate, your corrections seem to be bang on then, it suggests you might be aiming for the 7s and 8s as opposed to the 5s and 6s, would you agree.......dont know if your trying that delberately.........but if you added 1 more unit on you would be bang on each time, in theory........

So to me your doing well, apart from the odd anomoly everything seems to be following the rules...................