Katherine DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 post
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Would really appriciate some advice Smile

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

You seem to be on a 1:1 ratio of Quick Acting insulin to CP's.

From what I can see it may be worth increasing this ratio. Certainly in the morning where many people go for a 1:1.2 or 1:2 ratio - to cope with what's called the "morning phenomenon". You seem to have done this yesterday (Sunday) where your readings were better.

Ideally you should really only need corrective doses occasionally, when there has been maybe some kind of miscalculation of CP's.

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

As an example - I am on a ratio normally of 1:1.5 for most meals. And 1:2 for Breakfast. My Basal insulin is much lower, I only take 28 units of this a day

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree, you need to change your ratios....(which you did and seen good results)

I am personally on quite alot of insulin; a 17-28 split of background, 1:3 in the morning and 1:1.5 the rest of the day....

As mark2 mentioned we can experience a time in the morning when our cells are more resistant to insulin and our liver may be dumping glucose into the blood as a result of hormones being released, as a result the ratio ususally need to be higher here.

Also when in the double figures, for me above 12.0, you may need more correctional units as the normal reduction in sugar for 1 unit (1u=2-3mmol/l), may not be enough.........

Also when excercising you should be taking a reading before as well, if your to high then excercise will actually push your readings up.

Apart fromt that you seemed pretty clued up...well done