Eating round of toast before bed

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Chris1954 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Hi all, I have been using the FreeStyle Libra for about 3 weeks. I can see from the chart that although I can go to bed with sugars over 8 I am sometimes having night time lows which do not always wake me up. I usually do not have a snack before bed and maybe I need too as by bedtime my Bolus is through and my BI takes over. I have tried reducing my evening BI by 1 unit but was then highish in the morning. My question is if I had a round of whole meal toast (10g) before bed would I need to give 1 unit of insulin for it? Thank you in advance.

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

I have similar problems to you ref blood sugars at night. If I go to bed with a BG of less than 9 I stand a good chance of being low during the night with the resulting high during the next day. Personally I always have a supper which may be a weetabix or a couple of digestive biscuits. I would try a digestive 0.9 carbs or a slice of toast and see how you go. Personally I woudn't bother with 1 unit bolus as I don't think it would make a lot of difference. You may record a higher morning reading but at least it would help to avoid hypo's at night.

Chris1954 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Thank you Michaelj.

Neil_Johnson DAFNE Graduate
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
7 posts

Hi Chris, I've only just completed the DAFNE course. I wouldn't take any QA for less than 1.5 CP. What night time BI do you take?

Neil_Johnson DAFNE Graduate
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
7 posts

If you are eating the toast to help avoid the lows in bed then i definitely wouldn't take any QA insulin.