Correction between meals?

5 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ffi010 DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

Hi,
I realise I shouldn't correct inbetween meals but sometimes (out of curiosity mainly) I will test my BG inbetween meals.
If it is around 13 I dont correct, but I have done it before and it has shot up to 19! and then my next BG will have fallen by my next meal, even though a little higher than target, but I was wondering if I should be correcting this inbetween meals?
it only occasionally happens with no real reason why.
I am now getting a little paronoid/worried. can anyone help?
thank you

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

I usually test between meals, when I have changed my ratio or the BI to ensure that I don't run too high.
I was quite high mid morning but came back to range by lunchtime. Don't think you should correct, but if you eat something then obviously you will have to inject, but wouldn't suggest correcting then either until you work out some form of pattern to decide whether or not you need to.

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I tend not to use a correction dose between meals, but will make the correction at the next meal time. For me this tends to work better, because I am never certain when my fast acting insulin has actually stopped working. I feel if I were to take a correction dose between meals, I might just be adding insulin to insulin, which could result in too much, and I ain't keen on hypos! I haven't had your experience where my BG has gone up rather than down.
I always test BG before bed, and will take a correction dose if needed. Bed is usually about 4 or 5 hours after my last dose of fast acting insulin, so I am fairly confident the active period of my teatime jab will have been and gone!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Correct.........(as in right, dont correct with insulin)

Dafne principals would not have you correct between meals.........why......because you still have insulin and glucose from your previous meal working away inside you.

I tried for a discussion on here about readings between meals and how to get them down, but its all to do with glycaemic indexes and how fast or slow glusose is absorbed into your blood.

The only way to combat highs between times I believe is a pump.

Anyway, dont correct, if you have one off highs and lows you cant act as there is no pattern....

Possum DAFNE Graduate
Knox Community Health Service, Victoria
7 posts

Yes I agree with novorapid26.... don't inject between meals.... your body & the previous 'meal' insulin is still working.... you should try to keep BGL testing to meal times only because you will get confussed otherwise. You then have the oportunity to add a 'correction' with that meal 'injection' & all should be well till the next meal.
Of course we sometimes snack so, depending on the CPs you will have to make a decision "..how far away is my next meal?" and use the DAFNE principles to either cover or wait... cheers